1DsMkII versus 5D

kahkityoong

Clearly, I'm not happy about this instance and people need to know about it. If a camera still funtions, it is absolutely their responsibility to tell you that fact, and they did not. Regardless of damage over time or warranty, the only way you can be fair to your customers is to explain the extent of damage and repairs when asked. I went as far as to talk with the very technicians that worked on my machine and no one ever, gave any indication that the camera still functioned fine and probably would for months, if not years to come. They sent me a repair bill for $2800 and at that point I bought another camera. If I take my car into the shop after an accident, I'm not paying the price of a new one just to fix something that MIGHT break at a later point.

It's their decision to warranty their work or not. No one is forcing them to. Anyone would rather have a working camera without warranty than have to buy a new one.

Keith P I will let you know if it ends up dying. Marc thanks for your story, very similar to mine. However I think my 5D is more likely to stop working given that it was salt water. I just hope it holds out until a new version of the 5D or the 1DSMkIII comes out. Mind you having used the 5D, the 1DS feels extremely cumbersome and the 2 handed technique needed to use most of the functions is a pain.

• 6 months later...
I have found that the 5D and plastic bag works a trick! I use a Tesco bag all the time when there is imminent sea spray. Regarding the handling I bought the battery pack BG-E4. I just simply love the fact that this camera is so 'moddable', BG-E4 on for general use, off for travel photography (less conspicuous) and hiking (weight). Even with the BG-E4 on it isnt as heavy as the 1DsII. I would get another 5D Kah. Recently put together a comparison for a plant photographer. Here in the UK for the same price as a 1DsII body she could have bought a 5D, BG-E4, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 180mm f3.5L, Kirk BH-1, Gitzo 1340 and still had change for ?300! It really makes you think...As Marc said, all for a few extra pixels. Shopping bag for me, I have even got used to viewing the histogram through plastic!

• 4 months later...

I hope that I doon't get attacked for this.....

I'm a Nikon user. I started off shooting Canon, but switched when faced with SLR options. Had I stuck with Canon, I probably would have purchased the 5D. Why did I switch?

The Nikon D200 is more or less at the same level as the 5D. Obviously there are some major differences between the two cameras:

The 5D has the full frame sensor (even though I love my D200, I will confess to sensor envy). This help provide much lower image noise (The D200 is AWFUL during long exposures. I got so many hot pixels and CN (particularly arouond the edges of the frame) that film is a first choice for exposures over, say, 5 minutes.

So why did I buy this camera instead?

First of all cost. I'm only seventeen, and 3200 dollars w/o a lens is too much. The second reason, which I feel I am echoing, is weather sealing. At three grand, one would expect a fully gasketed camera. Though my gallery does not yet reflect this, I do most of my shooting out in the elements... particularly water. I hear so many stories of 5Ds getting a little moist and dying. Then there is the story of the D200 that required a trip over eagle falls to kill it. As it would turn out, this camera came back to life a few months later.

My 5d dies with $11975 dollars in damage from a freak quick and over rain storm. Still waiting for Canon to ship the brick back to me. Not a heavy rain either. When I suddenly got wet and thought Oh, my it's raining I then moved to protect my camera. My wife who was using my 10d ignored the camera and ran for shelter. Her 10d has actually been used at niagara falls with no ill affects. SOmething I wouldn't do without a storm jacket on the 5d. One spurious drop of water and toated camera. Not buying a new 5d considering that I'm apt to be in areas rather removed from shelter and small rain storms happen. But then what to buy...