1DsMkII versus 5D

kahkityoong

I owned a 5D which was damaged beyond repair by a freak wave by the sea. I am considering puchasing

another 5D or a 1DsMkII. Has anyone experience with both cameras. I shoot mainly landscapes but also

travel photography including architecture & street. I own a 17-40mm 4L, 24-105 4L and 70-300 4.5-5.6.

I am also interested in any stories about how tough the 1Ds is and how much postcapture work is required

compared to the 5D. Thanks

I use a 1D MkIIn for work and have used a 5D for a short period of time. The cameras are both very good cameras that have large RAW files and Fast auto-focus and ability to shoot high ASA's with out a lot of noise. I like the ID MkIIn ,better because of the feel and The large view you get on the back of the camera. I think eather would be a great camera to use with your lenses.

I have 5D's...they provide lower noise then the 1DS Mark II, and I like the image quality better from the 5D....however the 1DSM2 has more resolution...and for enlargements higher pixel count always trumps interpolation. I think for the $$, the 5D is the best DSLR on the market of any brand for image quality...still, it does not have the superior ergonomics of the 1D series, nor the responsiveness...frankly, and image quality aside, the 5D feels cheapish in the hands, especially to hand that have been spoiled with a 1D series.

Given that the 1Ds was announced in late September 2002, the 1DsII in late September 2004, if you see the same pattern that I do you may want to wait a few weeks to see if you have other choices available and/or how the price of a new 1DsII evolves.

Thank you all for your responses. I expect Canon to release a new version soon, but my

sources suggest 2007. I was very impressed by the 5D picture quality and its low noise.

However I do shoot a lot of seascapes and seawater is a concern although shooting with a

plastic bag should take care of the problem. I can get the 1DsII at a very good price currently

but the 5D also currently comes with a cashback offer. I suspect the 5D picture quality may

be even better than the 1Ds given it is a newer camera. The 12 megapixels it offers are fine

for me.

I have both a 5D and the 1Ds II and I switch between them depending on the anticipated environment in which I will shoot. Using the 1Ds II as a travel/street camera is no fun - way too big and heavy - but of course in harsher environments it is much more confidence inspiring. Two weeks ago I had to put the 1Ds II into a waterproof bag and go swimming with it up a river - I wasn't happy having to do that but I did it. I wouldn't have done it at all with the 5D.

In terms of image quality they are similar enough and I don't find material differences in their output at the ISOs I use - normally not more than 200. If you have to choose one and you will need to use it in 'risky' places than you will be much happier with the 1ds II.

>> I am considering puchasing another 5D or a 1DsMkII.

I suspect that in a car forum that would be translated to something like "I am considering purchasing another Toyota Corolla or a Porsche 911". Both are fine cars for their intended use. The question is, which tool is best for your intended use? You should know that better than any of us.

Were you by any way dissatisfied by the 5D? Are you lusting for AF at f/8? A bullet proof body? Will the added weight bother you? Do you want a build-in grip? In short, will the added cash invested in the 1Ds Mk II be of any benefit to you?

See what I mean?

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Considering the subjects you mainly shoot, I'd say the 1Ds 2 might actually cause more problems than it solves. It's heavier, and that vertical grip can't be removed rendering it much larger. However, if you plan on being around those pesky waves again on a regular basis, the 1 series is a better fit. Just remember to clean it thoroughly afterwards, as salt water is the bane of all things electronic regardless of weather seals. I personally prefer the handling and feel of the 1 series/3 controls and AF. I find the control layout on the 20D and 5D to be somewhat less refined (knobs on the top of the camera? Foul sorcery!) That being said, weather sealing and knob placement don't effect image quality.

Thank you for all your responses. I have been carrying the 1DS around and agree that for

street & architecture it will become quite uncomfortable and it's not exactly unobstrusive. So

it looks like a plastic bag with the 5D for seascapes. Although I am very tempted by the

excellent price on the 1DSmk2 I think I will wait for the Mk3 which should not be to far away

now.

Another thing that is great about the 5D (and all other models besides the 1D and Ds) is the size. It is not an intimidating or professional-looking camera to most folks. This is probably not a consideration given what you shoot, but it should be considered if you might be using your camera for other things.

For this reason, I just picked up a 20D to back up my Mk. IIN. The built-in flash is great, too. Sure, not the quality you can get with better strobes, but it is not awful, and it makes for a very compact and low-profile camera, which let's me get candid or relaxed shots that would be near impossible with a 1D. It's also a lot easier to sneak in.

Keith

Keith agreed, but I have no appreciation for build in flashes, regardless of their convenience. What would be a great candid street/spy camera is one with no built in flash, however coupled with a very fast wide/standard prime, st at ISO 800 or 1600....like the new 50L for example....that with the 5D will surely be a sexed-up-extreme kit.

Richard, not so when you look just at image quality...it's more like comparing two models of the 500 series Mercedes, or two models of the 700 series BMW....actually the 5D provides better noise performance then the $8,000 1DSM2....the 1DSM2 provides better build and more resolution, better ergo's THAT IS ALL.

I just picked up my 5D from the lab. The report was that the circuit boards, wires were

damaged beyond repair. Yet when I turned it on and tested it out it seems to be functioning

normally. So I will stick with this for now and hope that it functions at least till a 1DsIII or a

new version of the 5D come out. From the prints I have seen, there is no difference between

the 5D & 1DSII. I can't understand why Canon would produce a camera that performs up to

professional standards yet is not environmentally sealed. Surely some rubber seals around

the buttons will not add much to the cost. Even the Nikon D200 is sealed.

Dan -

I agree. I Would have loved to have picked up a 5D and a 1.4 prime instead, but...for only $750 w/ [crappy] lens, compared to the 5D or the money I dumped on my Mk. IIN and three lenses, I am really feeling happy w/ the 20D. I am not after prize-winning beautiful shots with it, that's for sure. But I can kick it around a bit and have some fun at any rate. The brash and uneven built-in flash has a great Weegee-esque charm. Not the thing you'd use for portraits or wedding, no doubt, but nonetheless it does the job without a speedlight as big as the camera sticking up in people's faces.

I will see how prices change in the next year. I've gotta get a full frame somethin' or other, and the 5D sure seems like the ticket, especially given all you have said about its high ISO performance.

Keith

Keith, bravado aside, and forget the fact that I have only Canon equipment, the clean images at ISO 1600 from the 5D is most amazing....you have to wonder why wedding photogs bought the Nikon D2X, especially when wedding photography is often in dark light challanging churches, etc....the low noise of the 5D never fails to amaze me even 12,000 shots later....no need for anti-noise plug ins that may well remove noise, but remove precious image detail too, and often these products will make human skin look plasticy....this is something the D2X users refuse to understand...I loved my 1D Mark II's, the image quality, but I replaced them both with 5D's....the image is noticably better, especially at ISO 1600....very clean.

As to Keith's comment on intimidating size, it depends who the photographer is around. I

visit get-togethers dominated by point and shoots and cellphone cameras. My 5D becomes

obvious in the room and elicits comments like, Whoa! What a serious camera you have there!

Do pictures come out clear and bright?

Elsewhere, yes the 5D becomes diminutive.

Kah Kit- ive been looking for a damaged 5D to replace some parts from my 5D which has a pretty banged up body, but still functions. if it ends up dying and becomes unusable i would be very interested in using it for spare parts, please let me know if this happens, thank you. you can reach me by email at kpoole@hotmail.com. thanks

Let me just add that no one should trust the Canon service department.

I own two Canon 5D bodies. I dropped one in cool mountain stream earlier this year and was also told, after a three weeks at the Irvine repair facility, that the camera was beyond repair. They said they could do nothing at all and I needed to buy a replacement. Turns out, they are full of s**t. The camera worked beautifully once it dried out and I can never trust Canon again to provide me with accurate information based on this and all too many similar stories.

Sorry to hear about your camera and glad it seems to be working now. Hopefully any salt water damage won't prove to corrosive over time. The 5D and 1Ds2 are both great machines but I couldn't justify spending more than twice as much for just a few more MP's and a big, bulky body. However, if the 22mp rumors are true and Canon releases a Mk3 next year, I'd probably go for that. I'd just be cautious about sending it back in need of repair.

Marc, I'm glad your 5D recovered....but your story is usually the exception and not the rule.

Sometimes water damage causes corrosion, and sometimes that corrosion takes time to do it's damage....I'm glad the water was not saltwater.

Years ago I dropped a D30 into a brook in the California Eastern Sierras....the camera worked for about 5 more months, then one day it died...the Irvine service center opened her up and showed me all kinds of metallic corrosion inside...it sometimes takes time for the corrosion to effect the electronics.

Those boys at Irvine are not full of cr@p as you report....they would be stupid to do warranty service work on a camera that got soaked...they did the right thing.

I never asked them to warranty anything. All I wanted was a working camera and they assured me "IT DID NOT FUNCTION". They even asked if I wanted to have it back or not - and I actually considered saying no, but figured I might salvage parts. If I had said no, I would have lost a perfectly working 5D and been out $3000 and I would have never known otherwise. The camera has now worked fine for thousands more images and several months. This nearly the only such instance of negligence at their facility either. I'll accept that this could still be the exception and not the rule, but I will not accept that they treated me fairly and honestly.

I never asked them to warranty anything. All I wanted was a working camera and they assured me "IT DID NOT FUNCTION". They even asked if I wanted to have it back or not - and I actually considered saying no, but figured I might salvage parts. If I had said no, I would have lost a perfectly working 5D and been out $3000 and I would have never known otherwise. The camera has now worked fine for thousands more images and several months. This is does not sound to be the only instance of negligence at their facility either. I will certainly accept that this is the exception and not the rule, but I will not accept that they treated me fairly and honestly.