Sekonic light meter... how to use?

thierrylaflamme

Hello! I recently purchased a medium format camera. As there is no

meter inside, I also bought -separately- a vintage Sekonic Selenium

light meter. I'm wondering when should I open the top of the meter...

Is it only when I shoot inside or all the time that it has to be

opened to get the right exposure? Also, I saw a red line, a blue one,

and another in yellow. Which one should I read in each specific

situation? Sorry for this "basic" question but, as I wrote, it is a

vintage meter. So, I don't have any book coming with to give some

advice. Thanks in advance for your help. (Last question: can I really

trust that kind of meter?)

It might be helpful to know a model number or post a picture of the light meter so we know what you are talking about. Selenium meters, in their day, did a pretty good job as long as they were 1) kept properly adjusted, and 2) the light wasn't dim. Also, did you check online to see if a manual is available? A good way to check basic adjustment is to go outside on a bright sunny day, point the meter (assuming you are using a reflected and not incident mode) at an 18% grey card. The meter should read a suggested aperture of f16 for the shutter speed which is a reciprocal of the film speed.

I had a Sekonic similar to that when I was a kid (mine was an Auto Leader in which the auxiliary sensor flipped out rather than plugging in). Unfortunately, in a weak moment some years ago I gave mine away thinking I had another one that worked. It turned out it didn't.

As for the top door and the auxiliary sensor (if it's present), there is no hard and fast rule. You open or close as needed to get the needle as close to the mid range as possible.

Nice meter if it's in good working order. Check the calibration as suggested above, and if it's good, it will serve you well as long as you remember that it's an averaging meter. It sees a wide angle view, sky and ground and all, so you'll have to remember to compensate for shadows.