Canon will join a small army of companies, including Toshiba Corp.,

NEC Corp. and Hitachi Ltd. that are working on the development and

commercialization of fuel-cell batteries for the next-generation of

consumer electronics.

<p>

Fuel-cell technology mixes hydrogen and oxygen to generate

electricity and is considered a promising replacement for today's

lithium-ion batteries, which are widely used to power a range of

mobile products from notebook PCs to mobile phones.

</em>

<p>

<a

href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/japan_canon_dc;_ylt=AiWtWmOjE7zi4WRRt

tnMYRQjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--">Yahoo News Link</a>

<em>Canon is also developing organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays to replace the liquid crystal displays (LCD) it buys from other firms for use in its cameras and printers.</em>

<p>

A better development, IMHO, than fuel cells for cameras :)

<< fuel cells are enviroment friendlier than conventional bateries. >>

How is the hydrogen in the fuel cells produced? With electricity from coal-fired power plants, natural-gas powered plants, or nuclear power plants. All you've done is shifted the environmental impact away from the individual battery into the air or nuclear waste.

It'll take a *boatload* of locally available fuel cell recharging stations (will there ever be home (re)chargers for fuel cells?) before this technology will take off. As with many things, its the distribution/support "network" that'll determine its success or failure.

i cannot wait to save the earth, let me sit in my oversized SUV, burn 10 gallons of gas to

get to the location, then take few pictures with my earth friendly Canon 1.2 GPix camera,

without worring where to dispose batteries in this pristine nature, ok i am done, let me

now drive around let me see this 8 cilinder baby going off-road.

pointless. If someone have problem with disposing batteries for pro-SLR's i bet you if you

get all few thousand sold around the world, you can stuck them in one standard size

container. If you want to save the earth and my nerves, please do not put them in the

oversized blister pack that is 10 times bigger then the battery itself.

<I>fuel cells are enviroment friendlier than conventional bateries.</I><P>

It's not obvious that this is the case. A lot depends on the the environmental impact of how the hydrogen is produced, the technology used in the fuel cells and their manufacturing, and what kind of battery technology you're comparing it with. Environmentally, Ni-mh, NiCd, and Li-ion batteries all have very different environmental profiles.<P>

Hydrogen has an undeserved reputation as a "green" (environmentally friendly) energy source, when, in fact, it's not an energy source at all. Hydrogen is best thought of as a medium for storing or transporting energy and its environmental impact depends of where the energy came from in the first place.

Fuel cells have a tendency to produce the substance known as dihydrogen monoxide. Beware <a herf="http://fflegend.com/forums/printthread.php?s=daad87dd30633a5063fcbcca51f867fe&threadid=16389&perpage=15&pagenumber=1">the environmental effects.</a>

Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma have caused the release of tons of dihydrogen monoxide. The environmental effects will take billions to clean up the results of this release.

<i>How about a plutonium thermoelectric generator, then? They've kept numerous spacecraft going for years.</i><p>

That's more like it... Plutonium is about twice as dense as lead, so a new 1DsMk57 would probably need a trailer hitch to carry it about, but as the plutonium decayed over 10,000 years the camera would get lighter!