robin_coutts

I have my gear in a Lowepro mini trecker AW, which is fine except I have a

long back and would like a better back harness. Having got hold of a Walker

Titan SF, I could alsocould do with a bit more room. The photo trekker is a

bit of overkill, as I already have available a Gnass lens case and camera

case. I would like advice/comments about the feasability of using a technical

pack to carry my LF gear in, which I would also be able to take aboard a plane

as carry on. Specific reccomendations would also be helpful. Osprey, Lowe

Alpine etc area available here in the UK.

Many thanks

Robin

Robin,

I stopped using photo-specific backpacks and now use a mountaineering, internal frame

pack. From my experience, photo-specific backpacks (I have one of the older Lowe

photo-trekker AW models) just are not designed for long distance hiking. True, they have

a ton of pockets and padded compartments, and allow quicker access to all your little

accessories, but, if you're contemplating carrying equipment really long distances, then

the

true mountaineering backpacks are the way to go.

The photo-specific packs place the load

too far to the rear, not close to your body/back, and throw off your sense of balance and

center

of gravity. They are not flexible enough to allow one to customize the load, and they

always end up being either too large or small. They are great for storing equipment, as

you would with a regular camera bag, and for hiking shorter distances.

The backpack/mountaineering packs are less expensive than photo-specific packs. They

are much tougher and more durable. The large compartments allow one to carry a variety

of

different sized gear. They have a bunch of tie-down straps, loops, exterior attachment

points for gear/smaller bags. The harness/hip belts/shoulder straps are better designed;

they fit much better for long distance hikes/climbs, and place the load closer to your

body/back and along the vertical center of gravity. Consider all the gear technical

mountain climbers carry and the terrain they have to negotiate and you'll understand why

these types of packs are a better choice for true hiking with any type of gear over rough

terrain.

Fit is the key thing, so make sure you try on a variety of backpacks to see how they

conform to your back/body shape, how they ride on your hips and shoulders, and how

comfortable the padded hip belt and shoulder straps/harnesses are. These types of packs

are basically grouped by their capacity/size (cubic centimetres), not how many internal

compartments they have. The choices are tremendous and any well-stocked outdoor/

mountaineering store should be able to fit you.

I happen to use a Jack Wolfskin (a brand that is well known in Europe) internal frame pack.

It's a larger "Joshua II" model; they probably don't make it any longer, and the brand is no

longer sold here in the US. I carry my large format gear (Canham DLC, meters, Fuji QL

holder/film, lenses, tripod lashed to the exterior, assorted photo odds and ends, and any

other necessary stuff like jackets/raingear, water, food, etc.) in separate padded bags

inside my main pack. If you need true waterproof bags for lenses/film/meters, it's a lot

easier to find smaller water-tight individual bags (I use different zip-lock bags for

individual items if I'm concerned about rain) than it is to rely on one large, waterproof

photo-specific backpack. It makes setting up a bit slower, but large format work is pretty

slow already.

BTW, View Camera Magazine has a good article this month on camping/fishing/gear bags

that are great for use as camera bags. They are not backpacks, but some of the bags

(specifically the Orvis fly reel pack that is perfect for LF lenses) might be of use. It's an

interesting article.

<i>What model of Osprey please?</i>

<p>

Sadly, one that's not made anymore. I think it's an Eclipse 32. Technical daypack. It's got a couple of loops at the bottom of either side that are intended for snow skis, but that work perfectly for tripod legs. Just using the fasteners available on the pack, I can fill the pack and truss the tripod on the middle of the back - perfectly centered and nice and close to my spine so my center of gravity isn't too badly effected which makes for better and safer rock scrambling.

<p>

This model was apparently a good seller for Osprey, so I image that they make something similar, but better, today.

I use an Osprey Atmos 35 (current model) to carry my LF gear. It is a really nice pack, and does the job very well. I paid $160 USD for it at a local outdoor shop.

I like it for several reasons. It is lightweight at under 3lbs, much less than the Lowepro packs. It has a very nice internal frame that forms an arch to get the body of the pack slightly off your back. There is a mesh panel that rests against your back and allows for better breathing/less sweat on your back. The shoulder straps and hip/waist support are also excellent, transferring weight nicely to the hips or shoulders just by adjusting the straps. It is a front loader, which means you can get quick and easy access to all the gear at once. My tripod attaches nicely to the side and the entire pack weight is under 20lbs fully loaded including the tripod.

To keep things organized in the pack, each item has its own padded case. I use a Gnass 3 lens case, a Gnass 3 pouch Readyload holder for my Fuji Quickload, Film, plus a couple regular 4x5 holders. The Wista is kept in a neoprene padded case, the Sekonic has its own case, and I have a folding filter case as well.

I think you could probably get by using this as a carry on, and there are smaller Atmos series bag as well (Atmos 25) that would probably work depending on how much gear you have.

Here's a couple photos, highly recommended!<div>00HnOH-31951384.jpg.54097e0230e4a0877c06c358cc01540c.jpg</div>

Another happy Osprey user. I have an Eclipse 26+5, slightly smaller than Bruce's and from

their website it appears they have stopped making that model. Mine is barely large enough

to carry a 4x5 camera and a few lenses, holders etc. The Osprey pack that Sheldon shows

looks pretty nice. The best thing for me about Osprey packs is that they are quite

adjustable so if you have a long torso you can still get a small pack that fits.

Dedicated photo back packs is not my cup of tea for anything but storage or short hikes. I fully agree with the above mentiones shortcomings of photo back packs.

I can recommend a backpack made by the Norwegian company Bergans - www.bergans.no. They make a pack - the Alpine Guide - in two versions, one is 40 litres and the other is 50 litres. These packs have the best carrying system I have ever tried - and I tried many! My friend just bought the 40 litres version and he loves it. After seing and testing his I looked for the 50litres version - it accomodates me better as I'm taller - and when I tried the 50 litres version I ordered one. This pack stays perfect in place on your back even sith a tripod attached to the side of it. Another unique feature that makes this pack stand out is an opening that runs from top to bottom with a two way zipper eventhough the pack is designed as a toploader. This gives easy access to everything in the pack without needing to take everything put tp get to the bottom.

Alpine packs are often a good choice for photographers as a tripod can be secured where the pack is designed to carry skis. I can also highly recommend packs from the Swedish brand Haglöfs. I have a model Tight XL Pro I have used almost every day for 4 years now - it still looks like new - I use it for photo gear, for biking and for shopping!

I too recommend the tech packs over the photo packs like lowepro or tamrac. One thing is the tech pack are a good bit LIGHTER than the lowepros. The tech packs models change every year, they might change the color of a panel, or change a strap, and call it the 2006 model. A good place I have found (that was recommended on this forum 2 years ago) is Northern Mountain Supply (USA, dont know if they ship elsewhere), I got a pack that was a year or two out of date (but new) for a considerable discount. (Like the mattress companies that sell "last years mattresses" like anyone gives a flying crap if the mattress is the '05 or '06 model) So much so that I bought two, one for lf, one for everything else! You will need a way to organize gear inside, I am fond of (clean) socks and (clean) tshirts, maybe one day i'll get around to something more formal. I've also been looking into the fly reel cases, Cabelas had one on sale for $19 but by the time I got the flyer they were sold out...

Thanks for posting your experiences. I've been looking for a suitable pack for my

4x5 system for months. Yesterday I purchased an Osprey Atmos 35. I like the light

weight and the full zipper that will expose the entire innter contents (as opposed to a

deep bag that just has one opening on the end). I already had the gnass 4-lens

puuch, and I picked up a neoprene wrap for the camera. The fuji readyloader will go

in a neoprene lens case. If it all works as good as it looks, I should finally be in good

shape for hiking with the 4x5. Robin, thanks for your original question.