Minox daylight tank for color film, what developer?

dex13

Ok, it seems that most people use the Minox tank for B&W development. I'm sure

some must use it for color, though I know there are more steps involved. I'm

going to need fine grain developer, stop bath and fix bath I take it. What is

the recommended "generic" color developer for the tank? Should I just do it

the old fashioned way with trays instead? I don't really have a darkroom setup

yet but I'm really not willing to send my rolls off and have to wait a month

or more to get it developed at minoxlab. They took 2 weeks just to deliver a

partial order of film, one of 2 rolls that I ordered, kind of a drag.

I'm enjoying the whole process anyway and am awaiting my enlarger to do the

printing, so I'm in for a penny and in for a pound.

hi scott,if I were you,I would dev the color negs by rolling them in a 35mm filmcan and kindly ask any lab to run it thru their machine.This is what I do and never fails.Be careful when you transfer the minox roll to the 35mm can,it must be done inside the bag or somewhere pitch dark.Make sure you attach a 35mm film piece at the end,so the machine can get its teeth in and drag inside,so to speak.Use discarded 35mm cans from any lab,they're free and you can have them for nothing or maybe 10 a dime.Make sure you use photographic tape to attach the negative,otherwise anything you may use for taping could detach itself or worse,melt and create havoc inside the machine.

minox tank...hm...i have tried my hand(as everyone else),at colour developing using minox tank.Hell,I even bought some babybottle warmer(or whatever they call it),in order to keep the tank at an even temp.But to no avail,the temp is falling very fast,and you end up with messed negatives.The bakelite the tank is made from is an excellent thermoconducting material,it can transfer heat very quickly.At aprox.20*C for BW is not a big problem,but when you have to deal with holding the colour solution at a steady 38* C,it is a nightmare.Obviously,some guys here still do it,but the temp control and the fact that you 2 extra solutions to deal with,makes minox tank completely not suited for colour processing.BW ...well,this is OK and work like a charm,is a real pleasure to use minox tank for BW process.Is very easy and let you controlling the temp,and because BW are so fogivable nowadays,a degree more or less will not ruin your negative.

I hope this helps,and by all means,try colour in your minox tank.As an experience,it teaches you a lot and is fun.But then again,photography is fun,isn't it?

Wkr,

JT

Thanks Martin and Iulian,

This is just the sort of info I need. I'm pretty much a newbie to the developing side of things, at least when it comes to film so all input is appreciated. I can see where it could be difficult to keep the temp constant for color developing. I'm not sure how a photolab would handle me giving them a roll of Minox with a 35mm leader though. I will try it after putting a note on the canister saying that the film is exposed and should only be opened in darkroom conditions. I'm not going to try that at a Walmart type lab but a real photo lab should be able to handle it you would think. I assume that they aren't doing any enlargements though? Only developing and then you do your own enlargements...?

scott,the thing is that you are to roll the minox negative in the 35mm metal can yourself.To this purpose,you'll need some empty film cassettes from a photo lab.They'll give them for free,I guess.You'll need to be somewhere pitch black,like your dark room,for instance(if you have one,that is).A closed and light tight cabinet will do,or bathroom,etc.Take the end of the film that protrudes from the 35mm metal can and attach the end of minox film to that 35mm end of film,using tape.then,with a home made easel(tip of a plastic pen),engage the 35mm spool and roll your minox film inside the 35mm can.When you feel that the minox film is all insidethe can(dont worry,you'll know),then you may turn on the lights and attach a piece of 35mm film to the minox piece hanging out.Make sure that you gently force the 35mm piece of film inside the can as well,so when you look at the cassette,you'll see just an ordinary 35mm cassette with a bit of film hanging out.Take this to a lab and ask them to process it.By all means explain the guys what you have there and how you roll it inside,so they will have a clue what the heck you are up to:-)).Please do note that they are under no obligation whatsoever to process this type of home made stuff,so a bit of friendship and personal approach will not be out of place.

I dont think they have the gear and lenses for enlarging...for this is better if you ask other guys here,more technical than i am:-).But i dont think you will have the luck to enlarge anything smaller than APS or 110 format at any lab.But by all means keep trying...

Hope this helps,for more Minox stuff,visit:

www.subclub.org

www.submin.com

www.mcmullon.com

also visit Don Krehbiel's wonderful and very thourough minox pages at (if i remember correctly) www.home.kcbx.net...

also,please do check out the Minox archive,you'll find it on the right side of the Minox section here on PN

good luck and please do post your results !

best regards<div>00Hoxd-31987884.jpg.f6ec342cdfcff63e43c4909aecd9d54f.jpg</div>

Thanks again Iulian,

I didn't understand that you meant that I should respool the film exposed into a 35mm cassette. Your last email cleared it up for me. Thats a pretty good idea. I bought a changing bag the other day, so I think I can manage the swap. Thanks again.

• 1 year later...