fun question - best car for wedding photographers

klm

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Kaplan doesn't a digital dashbord. Or d o e s he.

Folks I must say I may have you all beat! The day job provides me with a Black 2004 Grand Marquis and all expenses paid personal use ALLOWED. Makes me look like a serious part time assistant/second shooter OR a back up for when the limo breaks down.

I see no response yet but I'll bet David Schilling drives a Pacer.

I got sick once in a Pacer.

The Vehicle I originally had to cart photo gear to locations was a white Land Rover Defender (I

kid you not). A gnarly beast that no Michigan storm could stop. Used to park it on top of the

snow piles next to the entrance of Shopping Malls at Christmas time. Had to sell it to pay for

my wedding ; -( What price love?

How about a 500hp 2000 Mustang GT, supercharged, hi lift cams, 4.10 gears,

Weld draglites, 295/50-15s and skinnies on the front. No excuses for me

being late...except when it rains.

Originally a Mopar guy, but wouldn't own any of the modern ones...

But for New England, I'd want a Subie WRX. Maybe an STi without the

spoiler.

Seriously though. Subaru Outback.

AWD. Not atrociously bad for the environment. HUGE trunk area. The guy that was selling it told me about how he had moved from texas and slept in the trunk instead of motels, though if you're planning on working a wedding the next day it might be better to pony up the $50 for a bed. Sadly when I called back the next day to say I'd take it, someone had already shown up cashier's check in hand.

I just started looking for new car for next year and I'm seriously considering the Honda

Element. I believe that they have power outlets, which would be nice for charging batteries in

case of an emergency. They open up really nice to get bulky stuff in and out. They're kind of

funny looking and that the only thing that would keep me from buying it. I'm also going to

take a look at the new Chevy HHR. The look nice from the specs and price, I want to check

one out in person.

White bread 325i here, and even tromped through some early season Tahoe snow, barely, with chains on, and ruining a tire. Money no object? The BMW X5 for sure. I do like the muscle car suggestions with snow tires. I used to drive a '70 Camaro SS 396 that always busted fan belts. I am glad I still alive as well.

I chose the Element back in 2003 and have been real happy. Drove with two adults from Atlanta to Arches National Park, Albequrque NM, and back last year with no problems at all, except one speeding ticket.

Removing the rear seats provides more living/storage space than any SUV I looked at.

PLUS! The 2006 Element will be available without the ugly body panels that don't match the color of the car.

The best car for wedding photography is one that is the most reliable--won't break down--and has a covered trunk area where you can stash gear without it being seen through the windows. My Mini Cooper does it for me. The "boot" is small but is enough for my back-up gear. It is small (great for parking), fast, nimble and so far, extremely reliable. Plus people smile when you pull up in front of the church. Although, I can borrow a 69 Roadrunner too.

As said above the best car is the one that gets you to the job reliably... My 2 seated german built convertible (SLK) did the job til now, but don't ask about gas consumption!<br>It's got a kinda big trunc for that kind of car, but then forget about opening the roof :-)<br><br>

Now if I needed more space and money was no object... hm... that Porsche Cayenne Turbo looks sooo appealing...

Time for the old cabbie to step up. Three year-old Crown Victoria off-lease. Grand-dad type car - most likely no-one's done stoplight drags with it. Reliable, comfortable, repairable anywhere. Decent gas mileage, cheap insurance (nobody steals them). Big trunk, good a/c, nicely balanced and, with a good set of snows and an easy foot on the gas, hard to upset. Much lower centre of gravity than a truck.

All these SUV's and trucklets command a premium on the market - I'd let someone else pay the first whack of depreciation. Get one with one of the better suspension and upholstery options and you're talking about no surprises.

For a lot of guys the big problem with buying an old fuds' car is that you have to wear a hat. But that's no problem for me - the more hair I lose the more hats I buy.

Practical answer: for Maine: a 4WD Honda Element. I just switched to 2WD Element EX from

a Ford Explorer and I could nopt be happier. I like how large it is fro mthe inside, the low

deck, the wide doors, the fold up and out of the way seats, the sound system, and the way

it drives and handles.

Non -practical answer: a mid 1960s Jaguar XKE with the assistants driving an Element

with carrying all of the gear.

The only people driving Hummers and Escalades and similar super size SUVs and pick up

trucks these days are complete idi0ts trying to compensate for their minature sex organs

with their even smaller brains. From this sweeping generalization I exclude those people

who have to drive one of those beasts because they carry lots of people on a daily basis on

bad roads.