Photographers gettogether

brambor

I was in years past, and miss it. I'd love to get something like that started again. Any Floridians here from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area that might be interested? On a less regular basis I've met a number of you when you were visiting down here, and others when I was up in North Carolina a couple years ago. If you're planning a trip to south Florida give a shout: preacherpop42 (at) aol (dot) com

Rene,

When I lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma years ago, I belonged to the Tulsa Photography Collective, a group of amateur photographers who enjoyed exhibiting prints and sponsoring exhibitions of others' work. The collective operated a darkroom, too. Each year--in the fall, as I recall--the Collective photographed a day in the life of a small town in the area. We'd camp near the town, cook out, visit with one another, and photograph the town. In December we exhibited the work. I liked the people and the activities.

Ten years ago, when I moved to Colorado Springs, I joined the Pikes Peak Camera Club, the activities of which centered around competitions, mostly involving transparencies. I never did enjoy my participation in this organization--always felt like an outsider. Anyhow, I might enjoy participating in an informal group like the one described in your post. I'd give it a try. And let us know how it turns out.

Bill

Looking at prints is good The purpose of the last get together, though, was to go to the camera show at the armory. I did have a box of prints in the truck with me. That glum look on my face? Just to offer some variety in case James decided to come out with another T-shirt.The first one came out of one of these breakfasts at Jimmie's Place before a previous camera show. I'm partial to the one that my son Jonathan shot of me a week later, my face covered with cuts and bruises. That wasn't acting!

Are you talking about a few pros networking, like a neighborhood retailers' breakfast or are you talking about camera clubs? I've heard of both, but I've been asked to give talks for camera clubs and honestly I wouldn't ever want to join one. All the ones I've seen have more to do with male pecking order than photography. Some members with strong dominant personalities set themselves up as judge, jury and executioner and the others cowtow to them. Sort of like internet forums except with more self-restraint because of the risk of getting smacked if your too obnoxious. Some of the photography was pretty good though. Take away the need to satisfy a customer or make a living and creativity can run free.

When I was a kid, I was in the "South Bay Camera Club." We met in Torrance, CA where the South Bay Galleria now stands (I was the youngest member).

We used to present our mounded prints and show slides for critique at the meetings and plan photographic outings. It was an enjoyable outlet.

I haven't heard of anything like it since (until now).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

A couple of active groups meet in relatively nearby (Wash DC area) suburbs. I've been to some mtgs of one such group. Typically it's a slide presentation by a pro (or advanced photog) with comments/questions, and/or sometimes a judged 'photo contest' as well.

Attendance was between 35 - 60 people on the evenings I attended. Presentations I saw were very high quality photography -- not my personal areas of interest, necessarily, but they were quite well done and offered by accomplished photographers.

I've probably been to a total of 6 or 8 of these.

So, I'm just on my way back and the meeting was surprisingly great, subtle, earthy and friendly. Only 5 people showed up. 1 pro, 2 semi pro's and 2 enthusiasts. I brought 1 picture with me and 2 by accident. I must have either misunderstood the email or something because everyone whipped out minimum of 15 prints up to one guy showing about 50 prints. The work was great. It was great fun talking about the photos what we liked about them and so on...

I'm looking forward to another one of those next month.