Eric Milner Photographer launches new site!

EricM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed I wanted everything else than going away...I love your new version, I checked every new shot into it, and I find many new ones really great, expecially the Faces serie in which I think you excel.

Will come back surely, update us when you manage to make that Blog...and my best wishes for your future jobs.

I managed to get this to work with internet explorer. No dice with firefox...with that I installed the latest flash, tried, failed, installed latest firefox, tried, failed. Tried IE - installed latest firefox, and finally got it to work. Firefox still fails. Those are a lot of hoops.

That said, after a brief spin thru - very attractive, and some great commercial work. Hopefully I'll have more time later to comment.

Oh man oh man am I over whelmed with the kind words and support. It feels like I hit the nail on the head!

Bee and Eric Merrill, thanks for pointing that out re the text. That's what I thought at first, then I read it half a dozen times and started to kid myself that I might get away with it. Oh well. I'll come up with something...

Petri, I know I know :P

Matt M, thanks man, and yes we will bro!

Brad, cheers man! Nice it's done eh! (Brad has been a mountain of support in other threads in the digital darkroom following along with the disaster(s) of my first designer.)

The first guy built a site for two weeks and didn't check to see if it worked in MSIE and when I found out on my own that it crashed (it literally loaded then disappeared off the screen) was down and attempt after attempt from Dec 12 to Jan 09 was made to get it running, then when it did, it opened without it's front page with the viewer in a gallery they didn't select nor knew where they were. Another week. Then people started looking at what he was building and the site had only one swf file and was 1.06 meg and said no no no. It took 8 seconds on high speed before the front page opened and 12 mins on dial up...and it didn't load anything except a 70K jpg and everything that you see here now, the navigation. He stuffed the whole site into one file. Another week to break it up, and when he was done, he quit, said it was working and uploaded the files and code and was never to be heard from again. Whatever he did to break the site up caused it to not work again in MSIE. Wont return email or phone calls...left me high and dry after two months of patience and a lot of my money...small claims court now.

Petri, 10:01 a.m., I hope you can appreciate that peoples tastes in how they make sites vary as perhaps as much as peoples tastes in photography itself? And who their markets and target audience is? I understand your concerns and feel the same way about some flash sites, that too much crazy animation goes on. But I think I've kept it to a minimum while still being a dynamic and entertaining site?

Gabriele, thanks and you and me both, we both love faces!

John, I'm not not sure what to suggest. I've never heard of this problem before. It does require the latest flash plugin but after that it should work man. Thanks for going to all the trouble! I'm using the latest api that checks peoples browsers updates and once you get the latest flash 8 plugin, it should work.

I also had a found a completely black site (using Firefox, with AdBlocker installed). No message - just a blank, black page. Since I'm not a fan of sites that insist on loading flash right at the front page, and am too lazy to switch AdBlocker off on the off-chance that the site has buried Flash content within it... I'll just take everyone else's word for it that it all looks great, Eric. IMHO, your home page itself should not demand Flash. Even if you want the majority of the site to be Flash, I reckon it's a good idea to provide something other than a sea of total blackness to those who land on your home page without Flash enabled. As it is, there's no way of knowing that there is anything more to the site than just that black page. Having said all of that, it's a really nice shade of black ;-)

Kai's observation and suggestion makes a lot of sense. If there's a flash issue, at least those

viewing who may have an adblock (or other) conflict won't be greeted with a blank page -

suggesting your site is broken (keeping flash.

I use some flash on my site, but only on the underlying pages - not that I thought about what

Kai pointed out when I put it together. But it will certainly hold a lot of weight in the future.

www.citysnaps.net

<i>This is the product of a great web designer/graphic artist that took all my images</i><p>

Well that's your problem right there :?) Designers only design for other designers - not end users.<p>

It's a shame though, as the image quality and colour of your photographs is very good. Mind you, I didn't see anything "street" or "documentary" among them. Direct URL?

Outstanding effort, Eric. Nice balance between commercial and personal work, well organized and intuitive. I'm not bothered by the text over the images, but I do agree that your logo does not necessarily befit such an accomplished photographer. Ditto on the few typos that have already been pointed out. The slideshow speed was OK for me, although I did think the mouseover thumbnails took a bit long to load when browsing by number.

This site stands head and shoulders above most other commercial sites I have seen, by virtue of both the image size and the sheer number of examples that are available. I've seen a lot of other professional sites that have many beautiful images on display, but only low-res shite is not even worth looking at. Others give you too few, but a nice image size. I think you've balanced the two nicely, but I wouldn't want to pay your web hosting bills -- especially if you get a ton of hits and exceed your bandwidth limit! ;-)

Regarding your editing, you've struck a nice balance between the strictly commercial stills and the more arty, atmosphere shots. Thanks also for giving us a few "behind the scenes" looks in those series. The most burning question is, however: Did you go drinking with Dave Thomas, and can he actually skate?

I think you should've titled the thread OT, because this is overwhelmingly commercial work, with very little street. Good for your targeted audience otherwise is my guess. Personally I'd rather click a mouse when ready to go to the next image. Slide show in and of itself is a commercial tool, it would seem.

Congratulations Eric your work stands out beautifully with this site, which is exactly what the focus should be on. Great photos and a diverse body of work, I wish you great success.

As a web developer I am interested in the problems people experienced with what was referred to as an �ad blocker� in Firefox.

The only option I know of in Firefox that is close to what is described is �popup blocker� and as far as I know this has no effect on any version of the Fash plug-in. Anyone having problems with this feature could you elaborate? Is it a third party Firefox ad-in? Are you able to view other sites that use Flash? Most ad blockers look for standard banner ad dimensions to remove or block the ad and this technique should have no effect on a site of this dimensional size.

whoa, Zeeb man, cool! Everyone, Zeebo's the mastermind behind this site...in five days...Zeebo, this is everyone that fuels me to shoot street.

This is turning into a marathon thread! I didn't expect this kind of reaction...awesome and thanks everyone!

Daniel cheers man. And Jamie too.

Petri, gottcha now, yes indeed, me too...

Kai, Brad, thank you and we're looking into it right now. Everyones suggestions have been great.

Thomas, thanks bro! A lot of work...two months of a nightmare then Zeebo to the rescue.

Andrew N,

"It's a shame though, as the image quality and colour of your photographs is very good. Mind you, I didn't see anything "street" or "documentary" among them. Direct URL?"

Under "Mischief" man, as good as it gets as it's as good as I get :P

Jon Luebke, thanks for the compliments detailed critique. I think it is a good balance too but I'm obviously biased. It's hard to make these things. And no, I didn't go drinking with Dave. He is by far one of the funniest guys I have ever met and worked with. The whole cast and crew always in stitches and one of those folks that everyone gravitates too. I hope they do another one and have me back.

Ray, yes I ment to OT it, sorry man. This is my home crowd and just wanted to share. I've been in front of this computer day and night for two months...I actually shot today, this and 45 days of rain up until a few days ago. I was soooo tired for that interview, Ray, doing the gallery prep at night and on weekends while working a show at the time...the stress and sleep deprivation with a couple beers on opening night...and then bang a camera in front of me. Thanks man.

Cool gang, thanks!

Ditto all the nice comments, and congrats on the launch. I like it a lot better than your previous sort-of site (which wasn't bad).

The text on images bugs me a bit (due to readability) but I recognize it contributes to the overall look. Speaking of which, it has a nice "cinematic" feel - an elegant touch considering your background.

I really like the people photos on your current Flickr stream. Are they all candids, or did you slip in a few clever model shots which pass for great candids?

Cheers Mitchell. And I think Zeebo might be folowing along...I sent him this link to show him all the words of praise and glitches and such...but he built the last one too :P

They're all candids too and mostly strangers. A couple are friends or usual coffee/breakfast stops. Can't really remeber what is up there now. I have to update it too, last on the list...

Hi Zeebo,<br>

You asked about the AdBlocker in Firefox, and didn't see an answer in my very brief skim through the subsequent posts, so here's mine - sorry if someone already gave an answer to this. Yes, Firefox has a Popup blocker built into it. However, you can also add plug-in extentions to Firefox, and AdBlocker is one such plug-in... a hugely popular plug-in at that!

Great job on the site; I've had a look (without said blocker) since my last post.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Kai