Olympus rumours

skainet

No, I have not. I did read a silly rumor here earlier about a $3800 Nikon with just 10MP and still the limited 1.5 crop sensor in 2nd half of 2006 ("limited" in the sense of complete nonsense in paying more than $3K for an APS-sized sensor these days). A more substantial expectation is Canon's probably announcement next month at PMA for the 20D's successor.

Why on earth would they do that?

Olympus is committed to concentrating their efforts in the DSLR market. Why make a white elephant like that that may wind up costing more than the E-500?

There are people on Olympus forums much more active than the one here talking about a new type interchangeable lens DSLR with an electronic viewfinder that uses the current 4/3rd's lens set- nothing I'd be interested in.

Fact of the matter is, no one outside the walls of Mt. Olympus knows what's going to be introduced in the next 2-3 weeks. Unlike some companies, they seem to be able to hold their water until introduction dates, but you can probably rest assured it won't be a Sony R-1 type camera.

Actually, Olympus only recently (with the E-500) held back announcement until a complete

product was ready to ship.

But that aside, it makes sense, and it doesn't. While the pulled out of the compacts

market, Olympus has done it before with the E-10 and E-20 and may do it again. Take an

E-500 body, glue the lens to it, et voila! If that's what the market wants, it's easy. But I

doubt they will.

The E-1 is overdue for an upgrade and without it, nobody is going to buy their new f/2

zooms, so expect that before anything else.

What about an upgraded C-8080 with a bigger chip? I would like to see competion for a camera like the R-1, possibly with a faster lens throughout the zoom range, that covers the same focal lenghts. (and has a RAW buffer) I don't particulary care for the reflex mirror in DSLRs, would rather have a completely silent camera, and don't mind an evf, so an upgraded digicam could be something that I would strongly look at.

Is the R-1 a hot seller? Hadn't noticed. I was surprised when O dropped the very popular C series higher end models,the C 8080 and C 7070. Just not profitable they said. But rumors fly like crazy at dpreview, and Olympus is shhhhh...until PMA in February. Sorry, I forgot we don't do rumors. If they don't announce a tentative date for the E-3, there will be mass suppuku on that SLR forum. :-)

I agree that an upgrade for the E-1 must be in the works. They have been discounted on most sites to a quite reasonable price, but the lack of higher Pixel count (primarily) is limiting grid buyers.

I have an E-500 on the way but I would love a weatherproof E-1 to bat around.

Long term, one wonders if the 2:1 relative rating will hold up vs a 1:1 35mm lens and sensor rating won't be the future.

my 2cents.

• 2 months later...