Hello everyone:

I am just writing this thread to ask about free software on the net ,

to be used to reduce grains associated with shooting with high ISOs

on my D70s camera.

Please let me know whatever software is avialable online and the

website where i can get this freeware.

Thanks all for your help,

Rafik Kamel

I've used Noise Ninja, Neat Image and the pro version of The Imaging Factory's noise removal plug-in. All three are very good, tho' very different in interface and somewhat different in results.

Neat Image is at the bottom of my list of three. Not to say it's not a good program, but the interface seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Also, I have trouble eliminating reddish splotches (due to chrominance noise) from my high ISO D2H photos. On the plus side it's capable of almost totally eliminating luminance noise (which resembles film grain) while still preserving fine detail reasonably well. However this can lead to waxy, artificial looking photos, especially in photos of people.

Noise Ninja has a simpler interface and removes chroma noise very nicely. I don't try to completely removing the grain-like luminance noise since this can smooth out fine detail. And I prefer the standalone version altho' the plug-in version is probably more efficient to use in conjunction with Photoshop or other programs that accept Photoshop compatible plug-ins, such as Paint Shop Pro X, Photoshop Elements and others.

The Imaging Factory's noise reduction plug-in may be the most underrated of all such software on the market. It's very effective and very easy to get good results. There's great control over various aspects of luminance and chrominance noise. But the interface is almost as simple and straigtforward as Noise Ninja's. There's a dynamic preview so you can easily compare results with the unaltered photo. And it works with NEF (RAW) files. Unless Noise Ninja and Neat Image have recently been upgraded, it's necessary to convert RAW files to TIFFs (or JPEGs) before using NN and NI.

Noise Ninja is available with camera-specific, ISO-specific preset profiles, making it quick and easy to start using. Neat Image requires setting up your own profiles. The Imaging Factory doesn't use profiles but it doesn't matter. It works well enough and easily enough as it is.

Noise Ninja and Neat Image are available for unlimited time use, giving you plenty of time to experiment. There are certain restrictions, tho'.

The trialware version of Noise Ninja is limited to saving 8-bit files, altho' they can be saved at full size. This is good enough to evaluate all but the most demanding photos. There is no batch processing capability with the trial version. All images produced using the plug-in version will be stamped with a grid until the license is paid for. In the standalone version, oddly, only photos saved as JPEGs are grid stamped. TIFFs are not. This means you can actually produce some real work with the trialware standalone version, altho' at a very slow pace since there's no batch processing until the software is paid for.

The standalone version of Neat Image allows saving only medium sized, compressed JPEGs. This makes it difficult to evaluate how well the software works once you exit the program, so take advantage of the dynamic preview/review within the program itself to evaluate the effects on a full sized image. Batch processing is limited to two consecutive images, which is at least enough to give you an idea of the working speed of Neat Image. It's slower than Noise Ninja.

The Imaging Factory plug-ins are unrestricted, full featured versions for 30 days. This enables you to do batch processing from within Photoshop by using actions. So it's possible to thoroughly evaluate plug-ins from The Imaging Factory before buying.

I would recommend trying Noise Ninja and Neat Image first to get the hang of how noise reduction works. Since they are not time limited you have plenty of opportunites to practice. Once you've got the hang of the basics, then download the trial version of The Imaging Factory's plug-in. This way you'll make better use of the limited time trialware.

Thanks Lex for your detailed input, can u please provide me with the web address for Ninja and Neat Image? hope that wont be too much to ask. Thanks a lot.

I have searched and it seems that these names come out in many other applications (especially the Ninja one)

Thanks again and have a good day.