Bio page bugs

jhenry

I used to have a bio picture... it desappeared, although I can see bio picture in other regular member pages... I think you should advertize a bit more about changes. It's getting quite difficult to follow even for regular posters ...

if you have a <marquee> that is rolling pictures extracted from your portfolio all your bio desappear from standard page... which is not homogeneous with most members without <marquee> that could keep their bio appearing on standard page... that's what I call a bug. Above all, I really don't see the positive point of this change...

Jacques, you are complaining because having tried to make your Community Member page non-homogenous with other members's Community Member pages by putting a <MARQUEE> etc into it, it is now being treated in a non-homogenous manner. It seems like you want it to be both homogenous and non-homogenous at the same time.

it's really looks like quite MESSY now. Not a single member with the same page: one have bio, one have extented bio, one have pic, another have not, for one you directly access to extended page, for another you don't, for some you have all details, for some others you dont have... I just wonder if site managers want people to leave the site creating their own webpage or not?

<p> <i>I posted that in another thread by mistake</i>

Brian, if you were'nt happy with the marquee, which I can understand (as I expressed it when you asked few weeks ago), then why not isolate the marquee in extended bio as you call it... what I don't understand is why it was decided to just cut all the bio of people who have 'marquee' compared to the other who had not their bio cut? I like to be positive but indeed quite messy job here.

There are only two cases: people with non-standard bios, and everyone else. If you have a non-standard bio, it is displayed instead of the Community Member page, and the viewer has to click to see the Community Member page. For those members, if people clickthrough to the standard Community Member page, it will be displayed without the bio. If you have no bio, or a standard bio (i.e. no HTML markup, or innocuous markup), then the Community Member page is displayed the same as before.

I will probably do one more change today, which will be to put up a warning page in front of non-standard bios, alerting users that they will be displaying a page created by a photo.net member and that it may contain scripts or other tags that will have unpredictable effects on their browser, for which photo.net has no responsibility, and letting them decide whether they want to go ahead. After a period of time, in which all the people with non-standard bios have a chance to edit their bios, I will stop displaying the non-standard bios, and not allow them at all.

As of yesterday, there were a little over one hundred people with non-standard bios. Some of them did things which concern me greatly and I have removed those bios. The others seem to be innocuous, but I don't have time to check all the bios regularly or in detail to make sure nobody is getting up to mischief.

Unfortunately, we are going to have to remove all the HTML-injection opportunities on the site, including arbitrary HTML in biographies, and the present scheme is transitional.

Brian, Iメve just put the link back without any problem. I then remembered that the original link was in bold so I modified it with the <B> tag and everything was still fine, i.e. a standard bio page. I really can't understand what is going on here. When I visited my bio page earlier in the day to my surprise it was listed as a non standard bio page and the only thing I've done has been to remove the link. Weird.

As much as I appreciated and voted for many changes lately this one is quite questionable as a manner of treating members. Every good business try to makes most, if not all, clients happy. Complains and uncivilized critiques from standard page users should not be taken under consideration as matter is about personal taste and nobody puts gun to one head forcing one to visits non-standard pages.

If html code is for any reason danger to security of this site it should be restricted and not allowed to use. Rules should be precisely set up. Any further changes should be very careful to not introduce mess. What is going now with member pages look more like a circus not a serious business. Not to mention that it cost member's time to follow all changes like that and time spent for improving (even if others see it differently) is lost.

Nobody is questioning owner's rights to do whatever he wants but....

Happy Holidays, Marry Christmas or whatever somebody likes to hear.