People requesting your email

will king

Hi. I have had several requests for my email, most of which I know

who requested it by their name or by the user actually emailing me.

As you may know if someone requests your email, photo.net sends you

an email letting you know who requested it. Well, there were 3

different people who requested my email, who I cannot find in the

Search option by either name or email. How can this be? And doesn't

it possibly create a security concern? Is there another way I can

find out which photo.net user(s) requested my email?

Will

Let me know the names of the people who requested your email address that you can't find in the Member Directory. Don't post any email addresses here though.

It should be impossible for anyone not registered with photo.net to request your email. If you don't believe me, logout and try it.

If someone has found a way around this, then Brian needs to know (unless he already knows and is working on it!).

It's not abuse if a new user with no posts requests your email. It's 99.99% likely to be abuse if that same user requests a bunch of email addresses.

People frequently create accounts on photo.net specifically for the purpose of finding out the email addresses of members. For example, several times per week, we receive queries from advertising agencies, magazine editors, photo editors, etc, asking for the contact information for photographers so they can purchase rights to the photos. Most of the time we tell them that we don't represent the photographers, but that if they sign up as members they can obtain the contact information of other members. If it is someone on a deadline, and we are pretty sure they authentic, we will just go ahead and give them the email address.

We keep careful track of who is requesting the addresses of whom, and this ability is turned off when things look suspicious.

Yes, thanks Brian - that's a bit more thorough of an explanation.

Bob, figured as it was an oddity reporting it to Abuse was due diligence just in case.

Anyway, I'm sure Yann Trann of Dog Whisker magazine or Marjan Keshavarzi of Bird Tail Monthly will be writing any time...hey how much should I charge 'em?! ;)

I just had another request for my email from a Norman Carnick. Looked him up in the member dir and there are 2, one who has been a membr since 2001, with a completely empty profile and the other with a few photos that I have never seen before and I haven't rated his photos. What gives? They're requesting emails and not emailing me. Hate to ask anybody to do any extra work, but can someone investigate this?

Hey Will - I am very tempted to request your email address and then not email you for a day or two (joking)

On a similar theme though, I saw a very nice photo posted in the "No Words" from a user here and wanted to look at his portfolio - yet no portfolio exists for him and I can't request his email address to tell him how much I liked it and asking where I could see more. Maybe you can disable the "request email" link on your page too ?

I note I recently posted the e-mail address of a person who had been distributing software spam to me, and several members had said they received e-mail from that same 'member' or address. I watch carefully for anyone who requests my e-mail address who doesn't follow up promptly with a message to me -- sometimes it's just oversight on their part, and other times it's someone building a targeted 'spam' list, and a particularly effective one, since as users we can't effectively eliminate as 'spam' mail coming from Photo.net as a sender without eliminating e-mail from members and possible future friends.

It's important that Administration keep careful watch over and block any account that comes through Photo.net that seems to be 'spam' related (I hope this doesn't repeat my earlier post too much). ('Superfluity does not vitiate' is a legal term -- too much is better than too little, sometimes).

John (Crosley)