light meter

brian_faini

This depends on the size you want, really. The older Lunasix and Profisix meters are just as reliable, but in my opinion easier to read, and considerably cheaper.

in my opinion gossen, minolta and sekonic are all equal, so you can make your choice on interface, size, shape and specs.

t+

I just replaced my old flash meter with a new Sekonic 358 ($215 from B+H). It works fine, but then, how wrong can you go with a flash meter from any of the major manufacturers?</P>

I avoid the multifunction meters because I worry that if I combine all my meters into one, and then I drop it and break it...

Gossen Digiflash is certainly not the best for the money. It is the best if small size is primary concern. It is a flash meter but very cumbersome to use as one. I would not recommend it to anyone as his only flash meter. As a small multipurpose backup it is fine and as a small travel meter for someone who rarely needs a flash meter. It is very small meter that can do flash in a pinch. I would suggest a proper flash meter from either Gossen, Sekonic or Minolta. There are many models in different sizes and with different functions. Sekonic 308, for example, is small, cheaper than the digiflash and very much better as a flash meter.

Brian,

I had a Gossen Digiflash for over a year until I recently lost it. Great meter...so small that I think I accidently dropped it or left it lying in the grass next to my camera backpack. Anyhow I just replaced it with an old Gossen Lunasix.

Here are my thoughts:

The Digiflash is pocketable. It has nice features. I actually used the timer, the thermometer, and even the alarm clock! Plus it meters for flash.

The Lunasix is larger. The reflected metering reads at a 30-degree angle, which I definitely prefer. I'm not sure what the Digiflash angle was, but I think it was larger because it seemed to capture too much light from the sky. It is MUCH easier to change the ISO of the film on the Lunasix. The Lunasix has better low-light sensitivity. You have to pick which scale to use on the Lunasix-- either low-light or normal. This is sort of cumbersome. The Lunasix takes old mercury batteries which are no longer available. The Wien Cell replacements don't last that long.

You are safer buying the digiflash because it is new and takes readily available batteries. I like the Lunasix however.

Sure, if the choice has to be between Lunasix, basically a 20 (or 30?) year old meter, or the Digi Flash, by all means. But the fact is, the Digi Flash is very cumbersome to use for flash and any proper flash meter is better, whether made by Sekonic, Gossen or Minolta (or some others).