Canon A series, load SD with photos to display on TV?

Ok Got the A610 everything working fine with it. I have older photos

on my computer so I would like to buy a card reader to load the SD

card with those images, then put it back in the A610 to display on a

TV. Was wondering if it would work ok, since I pulled an SD card out

of my Nikon Coolpix, inserted it in the A610 and some images came up

with an error trying to display them on TV, some came up distorted. I

want to be able to load up the pics I need and give a slide show on a

big screen TV, very handy thing to do.

Most digital cameras (all, AFIK) will not recognize images that have been loaded or edited externally. Get the card reader anyway - that's the best and safest way to download images to your computer.

The simplest way to display images is to copy them to web-size (e.g., 640x480) in JPEG format and put them on a CD or DVD. Most DVD players will then display the images like a slide show. You don't absolutely have to downsize the images, but the refresh rate is slower as they get larger. There are also many programs that will produce a slide show with more controls and perks.

Thanks Edward, I was afraid of that. The camera transfers them fast enough for me so if a reader/writer wont help, I dont want it..Now I did see that Sandisk makes a device that is a reader/writer and a device that will plug into your tv and display those card images. It reads and writes all cards and has a remote control too. Maybe thats the ticket. I tried playing my CD in my player and it would not work

so that options out.

If you use Windows, W2K or XP, you should find it quite easy to first shoot the shots with the camera, move to the computer using Windows Explorer, edit them in your editing programme, and then use WE to move them back in the order you require them into the camera for final display on a TV etc. [if you give them a sequential file name can help]

Windows recognises the camera as an external source and WE facilitates transfers to and from the camera.

The free download www.irfanview.com has a slide show tool which may be of use, not tried to do it yet myself.

The Canon Zoombrowser software has an option to load photos back onto a card that can then be inserted into a camera for display via video-out. It's called "Set to Camera." It's available in the CameraWindow. It even gives you the option to have the image on the card be 640x480.

Strangely enough, the image count increases by one for every photo you add back to a card. For example if you are on image 1000 and you upload an older image to the card, the actual image count on the card is now 1001.

The Set to Camera process may work with non Canon-generated JPG files, but I've never tested it.

Ok I tried to do the set to camera option and if the image was not edited in any way AND it came from a Canon camera it would load to the camera fine. One that was from a Nikon would not load at all,

a Canon one that was never edited was uploaded back to the camera

just fine so that helps some but I nearly always have to edit my pics

so that is not an option..