Bracket for 10D/580EX

malcolmdwyer

<p>I'm an amateur and I'll be shooting my first wedding next weekend.

It's my wife's cousin's wedding, and I'll be doing reception only.</p>

<p>I'm thinking of getting a flash bracket. I'm not looking to spend

a lot of money, but the following set up seems reasonable. I have a

10D and the 580EX flash. I'll need the off-shoe cord right? Can

anyone confirm for me that this is all I will need? I'm not

forgetting anything am I?</p>

<p><a

href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=105119&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation">Stroboframe

Bracket - Camera Flip</a> [$69.95]<br>

<a

href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12972&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation">Canon

Off Camera Shoe Cord 2, 60cm (2ft.), TTL Off-Camera Flash Cable for

All EOS Cameras (Except 630 and RT Models)</a> [$49.95]</p>

<p>Any other models I should consider that are in that pricerange?</p>

<p>And... just to throw a totally unrelated question in here... will I

love the Canon 28mm/1.8 for an available light "normal" lens with my

1.6 crop 10D? (I currently have 17-40/4L, 50/1.4, 70-200/4L).</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Malcolm</p>

Of course it would be nicer if you had 2.8 or faster lenses. The 16-35, 10D, 580EX makes a great combo. You can bounce your flash and use the Speedlite's built-in wide-angle diffuser. No need for a bracket whatsoever. Shoot at ISO400, M mode of 1/60 f/5.6 to 3.5 indoors, with flash bounce. Let the camera and flash worry about the exposure when in manual mode and you ought to get excellent results.

I really disliked the Camera Flip and Folding Flip models. Tried 'em several times at local shops with my D2H and F3HP and we just couldn't get along.

In that price range - $70 and under - the only Stroboframe I really liked was the VH-2000 Stroboflip. It's a very compact, unique design. But it'll work properly only with smaller cameras. The 10D, 20D, D70, etc., would be fine, as would be my FM2N and F3HP sans motor drives. But on my D2H or other cameras with motor drives part of the frame rubbed against the lens.

Many folks recommend the Pro T and Press T and while I liked those fairly well I liked the Custom Brackets CB Junior better and got it. Very rigid, reasonably priced (around $100), not too large and heavy - no regrets.

I like the KISS method when shooting weddings.

So, I've completely eliminated all the rigging, cords and junk with Gary Fong's Light Sphere.

Pix look the same ... some even better.

Perfect lighting even close up in portrait orientation, like this ...<div>00DujL-26143684.jpg.1664a2112ba7fad7c9274e78ea4981d0.jpg</div>

Haven't posted in a while since i've been busy with university and having a kid but i am curious about Marc's set up. Do you not use a bracket at all nowadays? I've got the lightsphere2 but i still find some soft side shadows in the portrait format. How do you deal with this?

I've used a stroboframe bracket and an omnibounce with great results but i'm still not sure about the lightsphere in portrait format.

Hey Shilling, doesn't the FCC ever come down on you regarding that rig? Now that I see it, I think I understand why my mobile phone doesn't always work (here in Michigan)!

:o)

The camera flip is nice, but once that flash starts wobbling on a tripod, it takes a while to calm it down. I chose the camera flip so it would work on a tripod.

I'd be curious to learn more about the LS sans bracket. Does the LS cover a big room for a bouquet toss or garter toss Marc? I generally use the 45 degree tilt up and rely on ambient light for these shots.

Malcolm,

I would advise getting a bracket to control shadows. I use the lightsphere II but WITH a bracket. I have the Newton Di400CR. When taking pictures, especially of people, I try very hard not to use a slow shutter speed. I like to stay above 125, if the lighting doesn't permit it, then it's tripod or monopod time.

A shutter speed of 1/60 will create blur due to camera shake.

When I first got the Light-Sphere I also used it on a bracket. IMO it was very unwieldy,

even

clumsy. The Leverage weight out at the end put a lot of torque on the flash shoe (which

with

Canon flashes is a weak point). So, I watched the technique for using the LS diffuser on

Gary

Fong's web site. Haven't used a bracket since then.

One way to minimize cast shadows is to orient the LS on the shadow side of the subject.

There is always some sort of light source on the subject, and it's almost always directional.

When covering something like a bouquet toss at a distance, there's nothing that says you

can't pop the LS off the flash for those shots, or aim it straight at the scene. I still use the

LS and just plus comp the flash a stop or so.

In my experience, setting higher shutter speeds in conjunction with flash use isn't

necessary because the flash duration freezes the action of the foreground subject, like this

...<div>00Duuu-26149584.jpg.df2d7b608f681cf9faa4a9306e5d8013.jpg</div>

Wow! Looks more like a set lit for the taping of a sitcom. All from a 580ex and LS! That's a lot more than I was expecting. Very nice!

This shot here is also 1/40th of a second, but the flash (obviously) was not dialed as high. I'm guessing only +1/3 f. For these shots, it really didn't matter if I had a bracket or not. If my flash was dialed at +3, I was not going to get that second shot. That's always been my concern with the LS. Dial up the flash too much and miss the next shot?<div>00DuzD-26151384.jpg.9889f21a3d19d71936db2b2a4b726cd1.jpg</div>

Use 2500 mAh rechargable batteries in the flash Jon. It recycles in 2-3 seconds and provides

full power flashes right up until they are dead. I carry 2 sets, one set for the getting ready,

processionals, ceremony and formals, then the second set for the reception wether I need

them or not. Never have run low for a whole wedding.

On a related note, I've seen 3000 mAh NMH batteries that are coming on the market now.

3000 mAh is a big jump from 2500 in terms of staying power.