w/nw: Katrina update...

Stuart:

Many people are living out of state... and according to recent surveys many are not expected to return. There is no housing available here. What people fail to appreciate is that eighty percent of New Orleans was under water. They see pictures of the French Quarter and Uptown, which remained dry, and they assume that things are back to normal. They're not. We are desperately in need of more federal help than has been offered if we have any chance of surviving as a city.

I appreciate your concern...

Dennis

Roland:

It's the magnitude of the crisis that people still don't "get". While our state and city government officials admittedly never fail to disappoint us, the fact is that the crisis is bigger than even an effective local government could handle without massive federal help. It's scary watching your city die while trying to remain positive... and knowing that more help could be directed our way. Ultimately it all boils down to political priorities. That's life...

Dennis

Photos of these ruins -- sorry, but they are ruins -- lay bare the disconnect between pronouncements that "things are on the move in New Orleans" and this reality that is still much of New Orleans.

It would appear that the only things "on the move" in these areas are pieces of debris, moving a few inches at a time when the wind picks up.

Dennis,

<p>

I think you're right. The scale of the problem would freak out any government.

<p>

I've just found this site <a href = "http://

www.bringneworleansback.org">www.bringneworleansback.org</a>, which seems to

indicate people are giving serious thought to rebuilding NO. Some of the pdfs are worth

reading, but I suppose people are in need of some action.

<p>

Take care,

<p>

stu

Dear Dennis,

<p>

Not only are these images very powerful, your work in making them is very important. Whether or not adequate funding is made available to rebuild, one of the first things that will happen are the bulldozers. Thus, the memory of the devastation, itself, will be diminished. While I am sure you wish that you had spent a few days/weeks taking photos down in that Ward, say, two days Before the deluge, these images may well play a very important role in retaining some memory of the place and the full extent of the sheer power of the storm.

<p>

Thanks so much for sharing these here. Keep working!

<p>

Owen

Tough New Orleanians, like Dennis, who are still there and trying to rebuild, are stymied every step of the way by red tape, insurance woes, lack of basic services, conflicting city planning, etc, on top of the physical horrors. The neighborhood pictured in these photos was devastated by Betsy in 1965, and managed to come back from that disaster.