How does the rating work in practise

chris888

There is a fundamental flaw with ratings: It depends upon individuals. And within any group, you are going to find a wide variety of individuals, everywhere from those who find your work compelling to those who find it mundane. It will include those who will give you artificailly low ratings out of "mischief", and also those who will give you artificially high ratings out of friendship or other benevolance. (It's very rare to hear someone complain about their undeserved 7/7s...)

There's quite simply nothing that can be done to prevent that from happening yet still have a semi-functional rating system. If you can't deal with the fact that each rater is an individual and will do whatever they feel like, then perhaps the rating system is not for you.

What Steve said. I actually usually see the problem as in reverse...way too many high ratings given, rendering them meaningless. And people treat low ratings like insults rather than honest appraisals. Not everyone sees the same value, quality, or mood in an image, so why would they all have the same opinion? The value of having images rated is just so you can get an idea of how others perceive your work. It's optional, so anybody who doesn't want to subject themselves to other views of their work needn't submit their images for critique.

My own take on it is that if I am not willing to make a statement about how the image worked for me (or didn't) I won't score it. And since meaningful critiques take a lot of time and energy, I rarely do it anymore.

Seeinging nobody likes a poor rating to start with, I would think if it is made, something should be said......If nothing is said, I see it as "mischif"......If I don't like a photo, and have nothing to say, I keep quiet,cause it may not be in a field that I am attracted too.

Rating a photo like the one I quoted low, without a reason, is " mischif".......

The same go for 6 and above.....

I'll take what is coming, but it is disappointing to see non-honest rating, does not matter 1...7.

The rating system is important, just liked to mention this.

Well like anything in photography its subjective some people will like it some wont but as long as you got enjoyment out of either looking at or taking it (if it is your image!)then whats more important a couple of internet ratings or your own enjoyment or pleasure?

I do think that if rated 4/4 or below it should be justifed with a reason as it defeats the object of asking for crituiques. But thats my opinion. Just take it on the chin and enjoy photography for what it is!

Chris- Let me play the Devil's advocate. While I think the image you referenced is amazing in the fact that the droplet & the insect have such clarity, I think the composition is less than perfect. But, because we only have A/O to rate from & I personally don't care for bugs, aesthetically, I wouldn't feel like rating this aesthetically high, but it is an interesting capture. No doubt, it took real technical skill to capture the sharpness of something so small.

Let me reference an image of an insect I find not only interesting, but aesthetically pleasing. <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/4424270"> It did not rate highly, your example rated very highly. Almost all 7/7's. It is original, I've not seen an insect with a droplet like this, but aesthetically pleasing? :) Hairy legs, big bug eye, obviously I must be one among only a few that don't find this pleasant to look at, interesting, but not pleasing :)

If I post a pic, it stays away for couple of seconds/minuites, then if it appears it has been rated low..No names attached...No reasons given.

I will just ignore those with no names, photoraphers with no photos/EPT, I think that is fair....