Lexar 2GB 80X Pro and the 20D

dugger

The recall was for the 1GB card with certain "edge stamps" manufactured last year. One of mine had the edge stamp so Lexar replaced it.

I have two 1GB cards, preferring to spread the risk of card damage or loss among two cards rather than one big card.

The cards write from buffer very quickly. I have never had to wait for the buffer to clear on continuous shooting mode with jpeg. Never tried continuous shooting in raw mode.

I use this combination exclusively. Works fine with RAW files ... holds just over 200 images in this format only.

I prefer to shoot the 2gb cards over 1gb cards, because you get double the amount of images before needing to change cards. For the type of wildlife shooting I do, this is important & convenient.

The recall thing was about a year ago, and Lexar replaced all my cards ... even though I never experienced any of the problems they supposedly had with the cards. I wouldn't worry about this at all, and would ignore advice to the contrary because it's old history.

I bought one of these when I bought my 20d about a year or so ago. The card was defective, and died after I had stored about a dozen photos on it. Although they were only test photos, I was curious to see whether Lexar could retrieve them -- it turned out that they could not. I asked Lexar to replace it with four 512MB cards (also 80x cards) and I've been very happy with them. My reasoning was similar to that of Yaron and Scott: if the card failed with photos I really cared about, I'd lose less photos with a smaller card.

Of course, I could have had the same experience with any brand of card. But it's the size of card that would make me cautious, not necessarily the Lexar brand (though Rob's message about the recall is also very interesting).

I bought the 2gb CF card when I got my camera. Works great, no issues. Seems like the files are written to the CF very quickly. Maybe 2-300 pictures testing the lens I got and finding out how the camera works. I'm very pleased with my decision to sell the Nikon stuff and switch to Canon.

I've been using the USB connection to download files to my computer and love how fast the process is.

I just got the camera and CF and Lexar had a $30 rebate when I got mine, seemed like a good deal.

Funny! I have both of the cards the 1gb and recently got the 2gb because I found that the 1gb was limited by only taking 75 images RAW+JPEG, I've never had any problems with the 1gb one but after checking out this tread, I just found out that I have one of the lucky damage cards. I'll have it replaced just in case.

Both my wife and I use this particular CF card in our 20D bodies. Mine was bought in late 2004 and hers in late 2005. We each have a slower 1Gb card (also Lexar) as a 'reserve'. We have had absolutely no problems. We both shoot RAW, and as a result can store about 200 images on the card. That's very convenient and I would not want to have a smaller card as my main one.