Discussion (loading a III c)

Hi; I'm brand new to this site. Just acquired a 1947, I think,

Leica III C camera that is in great condition. I need some help in

putting film in this camera. I mean I am totally green at this. I'm

used to popping a roll of 35mm film in my Pentax and ready to shoot.

I love this camera and would love to learn how to use it. I need

some help. Thanks.

John

I've heard that it can be helpful to activate the shutter at a "T" setting, to make it easier to watch progress. Also to use a business card to make sure the film gets in the right slot. I have tried most of these ways. It is still a major PITA no matter what anyone says.

Don't mess with the shutter. It's not a PITA for a manly man (or babelicous woman) if you take it easy, especially after practicing a little.

The big thing is to avoid film chips. These come from tag ends of former sprocket holes...when you trim, don't cut thru the sprocket hole, allow as much film as possible near that last hole.

Remember, these old Leicas were the best cameras ever built.

John,

Have a look at this site: http://www.ozdoba.net/leica/schraub_laden_e.html

The pictures make it easier to follow. Just be sure to trim the film leader appropriately,

gently wind on the film and the first few times remove the lens and set the shutter to time

(T or sometimes Z) and ensure the film has taken up and is sitting correctly.

Everyone overstates how difficult it is to load film. Consider how widely used the Leica is,

the fame and 'cult' status it has obtained, and then judge for yourself.

Enjoy your new masterpiece!

If you don't want to carry a ruler or tape, just take a piece of cardboard, measure off 4 inches (10cm) and cut. Cut the sides down to the width of 35 mm film and shape to match a leader 4 inches long. Make sure the curve ends between sprocket holes. You can then lay the cardboard over film, mark with pen, cut with scissors.

I am not so fussy. I just lay the cardboard over film, cut film at the proper spot, and cut , free-hand, to create the curve and leader profiles.

By the way, old Leica manuals usually point out that you should NOT have more than 2 sprocket holes exposed beyond the final cut (next to where the curve returns to the edge of the film). All I ever have to do is attach leader end to take up spool, press the whole works into the camera body, attach bottom plate, advance film. No failures yet. I always leave 2 sprocket holes along the film edge just past the curve, but never 3 or more.