Shooting for Non-Profit Organization

sevtapisik

I am planning to volunteer my photographic services for a non-profit

organization. The work will be consist of photographing their monthly

events and producing some corporate portraits. Images will be used for

publicity and on their website. Since I am just starting a photography

business of my own, I thought it would be a good way to gain exposure.

This is a networking program and the exposure may be very beneficial

for my business.

I would really appreciate if I could get some feedback on related

experiences or any details that I need to consider ahead of time..

Thank you very much for your input in advance.

Does the key executive of the Non-profit own a newer automobile than you do? If the answer is yes, the Non-profit should pay for their photography.

For income tax value, you can only take a deduction on the 'cost of materials' you donate to the Non-profit. The 'selling price' of any of your enlargements is a gift by you...not something you can carry to your income tax return.

(I've yet to see a 'non-profit' photographer but lately a few soccer mom's have been producing 'free' CDs that are 'given' to the parents of soccer players.)

"Does the key executive of the Non-profit own a newer automobile than you do? If the answer is yes, the Non-profit should pay for their photography."

Basically, I agree with this. However, I have worked with managers of non-profits that have money to burn, none of it coming from things such as being an uncompensated board member. I am on the board of a well-funded non-profit where none of us directors makes a penny.

Working with and for a number of non-profits, I can assure you that 'non-profit' primarily is a tax status. It has nothing to do with the amount of cash being run through the organization or what they may be willing to pay people to help them reach their goals.

On the flip side, non-profits are prone to portraying themselves as 'non-profit means we have no money,' which is not intrinsically true. Playing this card, many non-profits attempt to exploit contributors and volunteers.

I am not attempting to paint all non-profits with this broad brush. Still, I have experience over many years that indicates that, in general, there usually are a small few that benefit from the idealistic nature of everyone else.

Tactically, what this means, is that you want to give your photography away, possibly with a small tax write-off, go ahead. Nothing wrong with that, if that's your mission. If you are in business, and have no specific empathy with the non-profit's mission, treat it as any other business that needs your services. Most will be happy to pay for services rendered if they must -- but they'll go for contributions first, of course.

First of all thank you all for taking your time and answering my question. Of course I do not want to give away my photography and I do not want to make a reputation by doing it. What I want is to gain the visibility needed to start my business going. I thought it as a trade off: Donating 15-20 hours worth of work, in return meeting prospective clients and proving them that I can produce the quality work they would want for their own businesses. This is not a random organization, it is a certain group of people I am specifically interested in gaining their attention, leave alone that they are all volunteers (to the extend of my knowledge) working together towards a common goal that I can relate closely.

Is this really very different than other forms of marketing? Don't I need to pay for my marketing anyways? At the moment I have more time than money. Honestly I do not know how to reach my prospective clients more efficiently. I am not one of the young fellow photographers who can afford to take their time to build their careers slowly. I am a middle aged mother who is crazy enough to seek a career change following a late found passion. I understand that you cared enough to spend your time to answer my question. I appreciate it a lot. But I would like to clarify that I am not trying to short sell myself or damage my image. I am open to any suggestions that would provoke my mind to approach differently to the marketing aspect of my photography. Best Regards.

I figure after my wife and I pay all our bills, we too are non-profit!

All kidding aside, you mentioned exposure. Doubt you will get much of that from their site unless you provide some outstanding photos. But you will get some great experience. Seems every time I do a shoot my photos improve.

I think it is a good idea but I find that free photos are less appreciated. I personally find that I tend to put less effort into free photos. :-)

The negative attitudes about non-profits are amazing. I work with a local non-profit, they teach art to kids from economically depressed areas. I think the directors probably make about $20K/year, at the most. Lots of us volunteer, I provide photographs, I sell at their events, I give them prints for auctions. It's worth doing, and it's critical to the future. Don't let people who aren't in the trenches tell you what it's like.

Generalizing about non-profits based upon a handful -- even a large handful -- of personal experiences is much like generalizing about ethnic, racial, or religious groups based upon some people you've met. It's dangerously unreliable.

It is of course correct to say that "non-profit" as a definition refers to structure and tax status, not to the availability of funds or size of the annual budget. Non-profits come in all shapes and sizes, from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, with nearly $5 billion in assets, to (far more) numerous organizations like the one Jeff Spirer works with, and there are many levels in between.

I wonder how anyone could speak "in general" about these two ends of a very broad spectrum, much less incorporate the vast middle ground as well ? Give it a try. I dare ya :-)

I'm not a pro photographer, but I did spend some years in the non-profit sector. I have to laugh at the "car test" proposed above. It's cute, but it's mistaken. During my time in the non-profit sector, I drove a pretty nice car ... bought with money previously earned during years in the "for profit" sector. Sure would hate to think that those considering supporting or volunteering time for an organization are focused principally on the quality of cars driven by persons involved.

I'd say it would be wise to ask questions designed to ascertain whether: (i)the cause appeals to you, (ii) the organization enjoys a good reputation in your community, and (iii) the people involved -- lay volunteers/contributors and professional staff -- seem to be solid.

Even if all your questions are answered affirmatively, I'd still begin gradually. Don't commit to too much in advance. If you learn that everyone's getting paid for services except you, or that expectations are not in line with what you're hoping to do, or that you don't like the way you are treated, or even that the opportunity for exposure is not what you anticipated, you can then reevaluate and, at your option, devote your time and energy elsewhere.

Good luck.