After-market hood for Summaron 35/3.5

owen w.

I have just acquired a lovely Summaron 35/3.5 LTM lens. This is the

smaller/older A36 version. I don't see myself spending the big $$ on

an original Summaron shade for it, but I know some sort of shade/hood

would be good.

<p>

Are there any after-market hoods that will fit this little gem?

<p>

Thanks.

<p>

For the record, this earlier thread

(http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00D8qF) by Raid

offered "authentic" Leica solutions, but my question is about anything

current in the after-market options.

<p>

Owen

Owen

Get yourself a Leitz A36 to 39mm adapter SOOGZ (I bought one from Ritzcam.com for about $25.00). An Ebxx vendor "heavy2stars" sells a really neat little 39mm "wide" hood for under twenty dollars.

I found this combination to be much more practical and effective when I had my 35mm Summaron than the factory hood which I had...and after selling the lens I still use this combo on my 35mm F2.5 Nikkor (LTM), with my Leica IIIF. You can always unscrew the hood and use other 39mm accessories with your lens.

Thanks, Robert

<p>

I'd never found ritzcam.com. They don't have the SOOGZ, and I've not seen one on the site (unless bundled with lots of other stuff). So, I guess I just keep looking. I was hoping someone sold an A36-sized hood for, say, all the little digital lenses. It was just an idea. sigh.

<p>

Thanks, again. Owen

Owen, it's not the same Ritz as the Ritz Ritz Ritz...no relation, I suspect.

http://www.ritzcam.com/ ...you're likely to pay a premium because they do target collectors rather than photographers...I'd

pay more attention to the auction site and KEH.

35 3.5 Summaron's a GREAT lens, forget the urban legend advocating 2.8. It is however prone to flare, so the hood is an essential unless you're into dreary marshes and grimgrey urbans.

Robert's idea is a good one, but I suspect that would create a larger hood than necessary, which you may not want. The only problem with the proper 35 Summaron/Elmar hood (which is also great for 50 and 90 Elmars) is that you may lose it. The lock ring is actually pretty secure, but I think about leashing mine...

I was fortunate in obtaining several SOOGZ back when they were cheap, but even at $25 more or less, they are worth the investment, particularly if you have several of the older lenses with 36mm flanges. They afford the use of E39 filters which are available in modern coatings. Dedicated accessories for the 36mm lenses are driven to outrageous prices by the collector mania, and the older filters are usually separated or flare prone.

Owen,

I know this doesn't really pertain to your lens, but I use a 50mm Elmar hood (12550) on my BM Summaron which is mounted on my M2.

I am also looking for a A36-39mm SOOGZ to use on my LTM 50mm Elmar. If anyone has one they want to let go, please contact me off line.

I will also say the Summaron is a great lens.

Raid,

<p>

Thanks. Good images, too. Just curious, the Summaron turns as you focus, so the square hood will rotate, too. Other than getting a grin out of the subjects of your photo, does it cause any curious vignetting or viewfinder blockage? Owen

The 35 Summaron is such a nice travel lens. My last 4 rolls shot under all sorts of light were lovely except for: Flares easily, use a hood as everyone has stated. Also, my old Summaron hood had a nick on the lip edge with a bright spot that showed up on several shots. Black felt tip marker all around the hood lip cured that. Finally, don't bother shooting wide open if it can be avoided, images are much better after closing down at least two stops. Sherry Krauter did a nice CLA on mine.

I have several non-rectilinear lenses that I use frequently and at first it was a pain to contend with using a rectangular shade. However I discovered that adjusting the shade after focusing was not the bugbear many would think it to be. It is just a matter of making it a part of the process of taking the picture. The rectangular shade is definitely (IMMAO) worth the additional effort. I also realized that setting the aperture on some Leica lenses is tedious, but just changing my procedure to aperture priority (in most instances) solved the problem. Besides, the additional deliberation seems to have improved the overall quality of my images.

• 1 month later...
If there is no vignetting even when the rectangular hood on the Summaron rotates, then I see two possibilities: first, the hood is too short, in which case it can't do any good anyway; second, there is a mechanical linkage which makes the film gate rotate together with the hood. I believe Leitz called this the GOOFZ.