What Resolution?

The resolution of prints is approximately 300 dpi, and they should be scanned at that resolution. There is little gain by scanning at higher resolution. If you want to make enlargements beyond the original size (not recommended), you can always resample to maintain 300 dpi in the final print size.

<i>"I read an article recently that recommended scanning 35mm at 2400 dpi to minimize noise."</i><p>

That is a huge waste of time and resources, and a bad recommendation for someone scanning in prints. I could see maxing out at 720 dpi scans on color prints but going any finer will gain you nothing except a large file headache. (2400 dpi sounds a little low for 35mm film)

Here's the figures as I remember them:

Max detail from a very good contact print of a very sharp image - 1200 DPI

Max detail from a very good enlargement - 600 dpi

Limit of detail for an LED print ~ 300 dpi

Rough limit of close-view photographic wuality ~ 300 dpi maybe 400 or more for really small prints viewed really close

Absolute input image software limit for Epson printers - 720 ppi (only counts as useable resolution if you're printing resolution bar charts or somethig else with 1 to 0 contrast, much, much less practical resolution at photgraphic contrast levels)

Absolute software limit for HP - 600 ppi