Non AI/AIS lenses on D200

yeux tortu

First of all, I don't own a D200. However, pre-AI lenses can no longer be directly mounted onto most new bodies introduced since some time in the 1980's. If you want to mount them onto the D200, you need to get those lenses AI-converted.

Moreover, since you cannot mount the lens onto the body, there is no metering to speak of. :-)

I use my old AI lenses on my D50 all the time, if that helps. I would think since the D50 and D200 are recently introduced that they would work similarly.

I use my D50 on M for manual and a light meter reading appears on the bottom. I simply adjust the aperture and shutter speed using the dial on the grip. I just posted a shot from my 45GN a few threads back on the subject of that lens.

The only problem I keep running into is an error: "F--" that I haven't quite figured out, and trouble figuring out how to use the built-in flash on manual.

The D200 is no different than any other Nikon body with mechanical AI meter coupling. Unless the AI indexing tab can be folded up (as in the FM, FE, F3, F4) mounting non-AI lenses risks damage to the AI coupling tab. Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes you don't.

Unfortunately for you, the D200 does *not* have a fold up AI indexing tab.<div>00En3o-27407484.jpg.8fa09491b25fe48087582297a9e7c201.jpg</div>

"I use my old AI lenses on my D50 all the time ... The only problem I keep running into is an error: "F--" that I haven't quite figured out ..." -- Michael Axel

That's not an error. That's the indication you get when the D50 (or any other AF Nikon body) can not establish communication with the lens. You'll get that with all manual focus lenses except AI-P lenses (eg. 45/2.8 AI-P).

Your instruction manual is your friend.<div>00EnKT-27414784.jpg.549957555520a62ea04b915f9f5b7f68.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

I have very old Ai50mm f1.4. When the lense is used on D200, I get shock everytime I shoot.

It seemed something is hitting inside the mirror box, so I took out the lense and compare

with other Ai lenses and I noticed that my Ai50mmF1.4 has extra long notch which my

35mmF2.8 doesn't have. Does anyone know if this notch is something I should remove

before I use the lense on D200?