Kodachrome exposure

A little while back, a local pharmacy was selling their entire

Kodachrome 64 stock off for $1.68 a roll (24 exposures). Needless to

say, I bought it all. I haven't used the film, yet, though.

I have been using a lot of Kodak's E100 series (both the old SW and

the new G[X]). Those I typically underexpose by 1/3 stop, and that

works very well. Can I treat Kodachrome equally, that is shoot it at

50 speed (instead of the nominal 64)? I tried to find some info here

on the board , but all I came across was somebody saying he shoots

Kodachrome 64 at 100 speed, and I still have a hard time believing

that'll give good results.

Any experience?

- Joerg

PS: I also seem to have forgotten what lab to send the film to - can

somebody remind me please? Thanks so much!

Just about any camera shop, WalMart, Costco, Walgreens etc that offers photo processing will accept Kodachrome and send it away for processing. You can also buy prepaid processing mailers from outfits like B&H and Adorama, but I'd suggest sending the film in a small box with the mailer envelope, rather than trusting the envelope to the postal system.

Regarding exposure, take a test roll and a notebook; find an average, well-lit subject shoot a roll at varied ISOs from a stop to 2/3 of a stop under to 2/3 of a stop to a whole stop over. Compare the slides with your notes when they come back and use the ISO that looks best.

At one time, in the Dark Ages before Velvia brought Enlightenment, it was fairly common practice to rate Kodachrome 64 at EI 80. Slight underexposure made colors appear richer and more saturated (and subsequently more difficult to scan, but since the desktop scanner hadn't yet been invented such photographers could be excused for not considering that problem). At the time there were few other options for increasing saturation.

Shooting Kodachrome at EI 50 would overexpose it by 1/3 stop. Since Kodachrome has rather narrow latitude, it's likely to produce washed-out color that isn't pretty. It's probably best to set your meter for 64, and do a lot of bracketing.

If you plan on shooting it at EI 50 you will be overexposing it by 1/3 stop not underexposing it. Like most slide film its best to err on the side of underexposure so you could try shooting it at 100 (1/3 stop underexposed) but I've usually had got results shooting K64 at its box speed as long as I meter correctly. I personally wouldn't shoot it at EI 50 though.

Alright, when I wrote "50" I actually meant "80". ;-) I typically do the exposure right (when I want to underexpose by 1/3 stop) but I then say the wrong numbers.

But you guys are telling me that the exposure latitude of Kodachrome is so narrow that 1/3 overexposure will already wash out colours?

many years ago Modern had an article about underexposing slide filme , mainly Kodachrome, at a higher e.i.

BUT this was during early hours before the sun was entirely up or under misty or overcast times.

If the lighting contrast is less, as during these conditions,

you should raise the ei slightly. This will add color density and generally more pleasing photos.

Avoid increasing the EI during bright sun or flash situations.

You will likely loose shadow detail. especially if you print the photos. Projected slides have a wider range of tones from shadow to highlights.

since it is not common ONLY to project slides today, just to print them, it would be bad practice to underexpose, in effect "exposing for the highlights"

Kodachrome is processed in the usa only by dwaynes.

(www.k14movies.com?)

I have been told that walmart or other processors will send the film to dwaynes , but be sure they plainly mark it" KODACHROMNE K-14)

so it does not go in the C-41 color print machine! ( about $5.00/roll)

Yes they told me recently they will return it unmounted and uncut.

ask the price at walmart or cosco or drugstore, , it will be lower than sending it vis a&i mailers or other places who will only send it to dwaynes, anyway.

If the salesperson " doesn't know" avoid that place as they may try developing it as another film and ruin it.

the film rescuse places charge much more - like $25.00/roll and cannot develop kodachrome, except as a black and white film.