50/1.4 FTM clutch fragility

panos_voudouris

Hi all,

I got rid of my 50/1.8 II and am looking at a 50/1.4 or a 50/1.8 mk I. Reason for the

upgrade having: a manual focusing ring that is actually usable. I am set on the f/1.4 vs the

f/1.8 mk I (better

bokeh, better colour, USM) but the only concern I have is the fragility of the FTM clutch.

I manually focus quite a lot with my lenses when I shoot wide open (I'd say 50% of the

time), so I am wondering if the 50/1.4 will be problematic. I also touch up focusing after

AF using FTM quite a bit too. Also, I have ended up in a few situations where I am focusing

manually and managed to start AF but since my current lenses are either switched to

manual (thus nothing happens) or have ring USM (lens AFs and overrides what I'm doing)

this has been a non-issue. On the other hand, I read in the past that if AF is working and

you adjust the ring while the motor is running this is not such a good thing on the 50/1.4.

So, do you guys have had any problems with your 1.4? Because otherwise, I can just get

the mk I and switch it to MF if and when I need manual focusing.

Many thanks!

Panos

My EF 50 1.4 USM is 4 years old and spend most of its life on my Elan 7E. I have the odd habit of prefocusing compositions (to try them out before wasting battery power I guess). I've not had any problems with AF or MF. You should wait until the motor finishes AF (i.e., motor stops), then retouch with FTM. I 've not had any problems with FTM as well.

My only beef with the EF 50 1.4 USM is AF is surprisingly flaky in low light. Now we're talking tripod dimm situations so most hand held shooting should be okay. However, these same low light levels do not befuddle my EF 28 2.8, 35 2.0 or EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM.

Incidentally I have a 1988 EF 50 1.8 as well. Although AF is louder it is about as fast as the micro-USM of the 50 1.4. However, MF action is the worse of any lens I have used: loose, coarse and gritty. MF is pretty useless.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

yes I've had the clutch fail on one lens and another photographer I work with has had 2

fail. It's a known issue.

FWIW, while I am a professional photographer, I am not hard on equipment.

Others I know have been using the cnaon 50 1.4 for years without issue.

cheers

No problems with FTM on my 50/1.4. I bought it new in Oct 2004. I use a mix of AF, MF and AF/FTM, but I couldn't say what percent of each for this particular lens. I certainly use FTM, but not all that much. In general, when AF doesn't do what I want, then I switch to MF. I might try adjusting the camera's AF options (especially if it will be a recurring problem), but I find it's usually quicker to slide the switch back and MF away.

As I have reported a number of times on this forum, I bought my 50/1.4 very cheaply s/h with the focusing defect, and had it repaired. What I learned from the technician who fixed it was that the problem is caused by under-specified plastic parts that are very vulnerable to minor impact, but there seems no reason to expect any problem just from normal use. Mine has been fine since being fixed. Handling is MUCH nicer than the AFD lenses - I use CF-4-3, so needing FTM is also an issue.

I find AF fine in low light and use FTMF with CF4 as my normal operating mode.

I have only had the lens for anout a year so this will not help with the reliability aspect.

However I hear that the reliability problems arise if you put pressure on the extending section (OLE focussing) when mounting/dismounting lens hoods or filters. So I try and take care about that.