Anonymous low raters becoming wise

will king

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If the subject carries 90% of the image, what has the photographer to do other than show up. Great subjects should bring out the best in the photographer and be the most challenging. Bringing your talent to the mundane is what you should do every day -- ask the commercial photographer. Creating a really over the top result in the spectacular setting is the real challenge. Everyone can capture the beautiful sunset. Doing it in a manner that makes me remember the photograph instead of the sunset is the challenge." John Ellington 12-06-05

Here...Here. I Absolutley Agree.

I simply don't rate those pix that I feel are below a 4.0 I expect that most of those photographers are just getting started, and my low rating doesn't help them. So, I try to make a constructive comment, and/or suggestion, but I do not rate the pic.

As I posted in another thread of this forum:<P>

<I>... I did rate some 1s and 2s during my very first days here, which is not too long ago, because I took the rating system literally. "Originality very bad": that meant for me just a very boring picture. I was as careful with my 1s as with my 7s -- just as the <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/gallery/photocritique/standards/"><B>instructions to rating</B></A> suggested. But soon I found out in the forums that things work different here: nobody is supposed to rate any 1s or 2s. So I started feeling really bad about my first ratings and tried to check out what damage I had done. Now when I looked through my own rating log and checked the low rated pics, there were no 1s or 2s anywhere in their detail statistics. Lucky me. I guess a moderator had checked through my ratings, as announced for all "very recently added members", and deleted those low ratings. But then, I didn't see any low ratings in any detail stats. Now my question: What are the 1s and 2s good for then? Why don't you just disallow such ratings (HTML: input disabled radio etc)? That would save you moderators a lot of work and us newbies a lot of misunderstandings. At least you should quickly change your rating tutorial!</I><P>

So, there you have my confession, and I'm just waiting for everyone to post revenge low ratings on my portfolio now...

I have noticed recently that I have had ratings on some shots averaging 5.5,5.8 then several days later someone pitches in with a 3/3 which obviously brings the average rating way down.This does not bother me so much as I personally put more importance on constructive critism than ratings,but it is weird and does seem to happen too often just to be a coincedence.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Well the only solution to this is cutting the possibility of anonymous rates and not to worry. We are about to do that in our own photo site, and I'm in fact surprised it's not yet done in such a serious and world wide vortal as photo.net is.

That would give some spare time to the site admins.