If you could only take one lens...

jim_e._lara

I recently attended a very good illustrated lecture by a landscape photographer who uses a Pentax 35mm SLR with 24, 50 and 200mm lenses. He has captured an enormous variety of beautiful images over the past 20 years with solely this kit. I would not place myself beside this man in terms of skill or attainments but I have used a similar small set of lenses for some time. However, the idea of restricting myself to just one lens seems pointless.

It would be educational, and possibly entertaining, to shoot with a single lens. With a DSLR, I use a 28-70/2.8 AFS lens for 85% of my landscape photography. With an Hasselblad, the same is true for a "normal" 100/3.5 Planar. Those are just averages, though, and it's the exceptions that make the day worth while.

I would not travel without a tripod for landscape pictures, and with nothing lighter than a Gitzo 1227 (CF), or a 1340 (Al) with a leveling head. Landscapes are supposed to be sharp. I'd rather carry a tripod than rely on luck.

Regardless, if I were only ALLOWED one lens (or no lens), I'd go somewhere else less restrictive. I passed on a dozen or so cathedrals in Spain for that reason.

"It has to be the 14-450mm f/1.021 lens."

Vivek, I agree! But seriously, a Tamron 28-300mm will do very well for me. Fit that on an F6/F100/D200, this combo can sit on the compact Gitzo G026 very comfortably. That's what I would do stranded on a desert island with one lens.

Mary

I'm a film, nature & wildlife shooter. Many times I do only take one lens, . . . my Canon EF 100-400L IS.

Tripod - depends. With the IS most of my shots are handheld. But I do use the tripod when combining with the 1.4 TC.

What you're finding is that everyone has a different style. You really didn't give a lot to go on, either. If I were heading to Jasper Park, I'd take my 80-400mm VR lens. If I were heading to Arches National Park in Utah it would be my 18-35mm (a 12-24mm if digital.) If I were mostly shooting landscapes I would want a tripod, polarizer, and a couple of ND grads too. Last month I went to Chicago and only took a Nikon N80 with broken autofocus and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens. I shot the Loop trains at night. The fast lens worked great. Not having something expensive didn't attract attention. (From thieves and security types.) Really, can't a good photographer use whatever they have to create good images?

Kent in SD

If it's just a walk, or a drive in my car someplace, and not a real photoshoot, the one lens I carry depends on the conditions and terrain I expect to encounter, and what I intend to shoot. For big skies and narrow canyons, I like my 28mm lens (I use a film camera), especially if the terrain is not that interesting. On the other hand, I sometimes find myself tiring of shooting wide-angle pictures only. I don't like the way they put things so far away. I like a good big subject in a picture, a frame-filling picture, like the portraits on your Web site.

I have recently wished I had brought my 50mm lens when climbing some narrow mountain ridges. I was carrying a 100mm lens and was too close to the subject and couldn't back up without stepping off a cliff. I fell in love with my 50mm lens all over again a couple of years ago on a boat ride through the fiords of southeast Alaska. It seemed a perfect match for the tall mountains beside the water. It's a fast lens (f1.7) which was helpful under Alaska's gray skies.

I mostly carry a 100mm macro lens on my walks which are mostly in desert or desert mountain terrain. I might choose differently if walking someplace else, like in a forest full of tall trees. When walking by the seashore, I carry a 200mm lens with good glass and a 100-300mm zoom (not as good) for shooting up and down the coast and also for portraits of birds and sea lions.

Thinking about it, I probably could or even should carry a zoom lens, manufactured by my camera's manufacturer, and covering the wide angle to short or medium telephoto ranges, up to 100mm or 135mm. I might also look for something from a reputable third party. I moved from zoom lenses to primes several years ago, because of quality, but I believe that zoom lenses as a category have made advancements since then.