What is happening to the rating system? (no, not about 3/3)

alejandrokeller

I have noticed in the last days that some of the images that I post

for ratings will not receive any in hours. The last time I saw this,

my picture was posted for 5+ hours without them and then, out of

nothing, it got about 7 ratings within minutes. It never happened to

me before. Is there an explanation for this? Am I posting

uninteresting pictures? are my pictures getting only invisible 1's and

2's? Has anybody else noticed this?

I don't know what the recomputation rate is for the server that generates the ratings, but I too have noticed that sometimes it takes at least a couple of hours or longer before any ratings or any view counts appear on a submitted photo. Which raises the question "When does the 24 hours start for photos in the "last 24 hour" view? There may not be enough time to get them in. Of course, some of us don't have to worry about that.

My only interest in the TRP is as a vehicle to get my images viewed and critiqued, I wish there was some other way to increase the visibility (or length of) for images in order to get as broad an exposure as possible. A paged view of image submissions without any back end manipulation of what gets shown to us would be good. As it stands I believe the system definitely determines exactly what to show us based on number of rates. Why not allow those of us who would like it, to be able to simply scrollback chronologically page by page through all submissions?

Any and all transparency regarding the workings would be good but there doesn't seem to be any willing to do that from the admin team.

A system that let people simply scroll back through thousands of photos per day in order to find the 10% that could possibly be interesting to anyone but the friends of the photogapher would be a disaster for the performance of the site. I don't think most people wnat to do that, and I'm not going to expend effort to make if possible. If it were already possible, I'd find a way to turn it off.

Brian, I guess that answer was directed to Ben. But I am still courious. Is this delay in the raitings on purpouse or is it just that we are overloading the server somehow (or are the PNeters loosing interest in rating). I dont need to have ratings the second I post my pics, I just want to know what is going on.

Maybe you see the updates sooner as we do... my three posts for today were also hanging for hours with no ratings. The latest, which I posted much later than the others, got 6 of the seven ratings in the last 30 min or so. The others still are on only one. Not so long ago, it was normal to get the first 4-5 ratings within one hour (watch <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008VKx" >this older thread</a> for example)... As Misha said, I am not the only one noticing this, so something did change... I was just being courious and did not knew it was a secret. ;-)