Delta 400 - What did I do wrong?

rkfoxman

Please take a look at the sample attached. All three rolls processed

(I have a three-roll Patterson tank) turned out to have "burn" marks

which ran the whole length of each roll. The marks are greenish and

look sort of "foggy". On this sample the mark covers pretty much the

whole image except the left and right edges.

Again, this is Delta 400, processed in Ilford DDX for 8 minutes at

66F. My hunch is the developer wasn't mixed enough. Any ideas.<div>00Dup1-26145384.jpg.f9615e1cac66c3118107ba480b0579b7.jpg</div>

Did you pre-soak the roll in plain water a couple of times? Some of those anti-halation coatings turn gummy and stick to the emulsion, especially during & after the fixer stage.

Anti-halation coatings can be indigo blue, purple, pink, or even green when you pour out the pre-soak water.

Pre soak is not recommended by Ilford. Usually this is from insufficient agitation in the fix, but I find it hard to believe it happened with a Patterson tank in that inversion produceslots of agitation.

The twirly stick is only for the first agitation. You are to use inversion for the rest otherwise the above is what happens with both developer and fix.

Also make sure the fix is not near exhaustion.

Insufficient fixing. Check strength/exhaustion of your fixer. Also, ensure sufficient agitation during fixing. Remember to fix for twice clearing time , which you can check by dropping the cut-off leader into the top of the tank when you begin the fixing stage of processing. Examine it after a minute or so. Note how long it takes to clear then fix for as long again.

Roman:

I agree that this looks like insufficient fixing. The good news is, you can eliminate it by fixing again with fresh fixer. With regards to timing, I've always used a 5 minute fix - it always clears the negs and doesn't seem to cause harm. You need to wash carefully afterwards and use a hypo clear solution, but this will probably eliminate your problem.

Good luck

Jim

First of all, the NYC water supply is not hard. All of it comes from reservoirs north of the city.

Your problem looks a lot like underfixing. No one has mentioned this, but even though you've fixed for the required amount of time that doesn't mean the fixer was not exhausted. Refix the film with fresh fixer. It should clear. The giveaway is the fact that the positive is lighter in the center than the edges. If your developer was off, there would be decreased density in the center leading to a darker center stripe in the positive.

If you fixed with sodium thiosulfate fixer (powder when purchased), 4:30 is nowhere nearly enough. With a fresh ammonium thiosulfate fixer (liquid when purchased), 4:30 is probably just shy of enough with a Delta or T-Max film. (These films tend to need longer fix times than non-t-grain films.)

Refixing these I don't think will save them but I'm no expert in this area.

The way we're taught to agitate and so far I have had no troubles with it is to invert and quarter turn 10 seconds for every 1 minute in development and fixing.

Obviously be sure the lid is on TIGHT.