AF "beep niose" survey

timcorridan

Well my "beep" is no where as loud as my shutter and no where even close as loud as the point and shooters with their throw away winding sounds, and the beeps that seem to play entire songs...I like my beep as a matter of fact I love it and I am going to keep it and I am going to beep and chimp happily every after...

Priceless moments are never lost to the beep, only to the ineptness of the person beeping :-). If you use it with and without (which I do), you quickly discover what you like.

PJ is no more compromised by the beep, than the wedding is compromised by the presence of the photog. Although I prefer one way, it lacks insight to declare it the 'only' way.

I use the beep. When I can hear it, it's a help. I can't think of a time when anybody's looked at

me sideways because of it.

I respectfully think that most of the judgement about beeping focus confirmation here is

from the same ilk of folks that worry that their Leicas will get stolen if they don't stick some

black tape across the name, or figure they can't take stealthy pictures with an SLR. It's

(almost) all in your head, people.

That said, I can. not. stand. the fake shutter sound on p&s digicams (shudder).

I hate the beeping beep.

Coming from a Video background... the AF beep is nothing compared to family and friends with HandyCams that dont just beep they 'chime' briing, ok Uncle Bob is recording now :) Trring, he's on pause.

The beeps help in some situations but in a very quiet church its off for me.

I think people expect the shutter... in fact I was told by a grooms father, I better hear that <insert shutter sound here> going off or else :)

I was also told by a priest that if he hears beeping he'll ask me to leave... man, was that one angry Priest.

Peter.

• 2 years later...

A beep noise in a church at a wedding is simply bad manners, whether it is of value to the camera user or not. A bit of decorum, please - silence the cameras.

On shutter noise, I had to set aside my DSLR at weddings and use the Fuji S9600 - totally silent and at ISO 800 plus a bit of expousre to keep noise down and processing through noiseware, I can achieve good A4 prints which are slightly soft but look like a very soft focus, not a bad thing for brides at weddings. Its either that or noise, and people in churches do not like noises.