Scanning Delta100 as color film

rkfoxman

Recently, thanks to this forum, I became aware of possible

advantages scanning B&W film in RGB (as a color negative) vs.

traditional B&W scan. To test the theory I rescaned some Delta 100

frames which gave me problems in the past when scanned as b&w:

highlights looked clipped and appeared dull gray. See the comparison

below and judge for yourselves (most revealing are the highlights on

the person's face.) In addition, I also found that b&w scanning

often required a more severe underexposing vs. color. This could be

the reason why the highlights turn out clipped and gray.<div>00DzCH-26230084.jpg.e57cce5c01f354f3f37bcfb82c35233c.jpg</div>

You are always scanning in color. It's really just the software at work.

You might want to give Vuescan a try. First just output a Vuescan Raw File, specifying any film type _exept_ color negative (which will shift the rgb balance of the raw), then experiment. I liked the Black and White TMax profile with D76ci:.55 contrast index as a starting point. Around 0.7 brightness, and very minimal or 0 clip.

I have the SDIII myself and scanning as color negative makes no practical difference in density range.

<p>

What <i>does</i> make a difference though is scanning as positive. Either B&W or color. When scanning as positive you can catch all information in the negatives, with the exception of strongly overdeveloped ones.

<p>

Minolta's software seems to be calibrated only for C41 films. It is impossible to capture the density range of a conventional B&W film when in the negative modes.

There are many ways to use b&w scans for monochrome output. Since one of these techniques includes splitting the scan into separate channels, it makes sense to always scan to scan as if it were color negative film.

Different channels have different levels of grain, for example. You might want to emphasize or deemphasize grain. Scanning as b&w or simply desaturating the scan won't produce quite the same results. But whatever works for you is as valid as anyone else's technique.

Running more tests last night I found the following:

Minolta DualScan III native software is pretty good scanning Ilford's 400 films and fairly good with FP5. It has a lot more trouble with Delta 100: lots of detail lost in shadows/highlights. VueScan is fantastic in that respect. What a difference! On the other hand, VueScan didn't produce any measurable improvement over Minolta's software with faster films. Overall, though, both Minotla and VueScan produced superior results when scanning B&W film as color.

I'm fairly certain that the better results you are seeing (in terms of highlight and shadow detail) with conventional-grain B&W films relative to Delta 100 have nothing to do with the scanner's capabilities and everything to do with the quality of the negative. It's important not to underexpose or overdevelop film when you intend to scan it (overdevelopment is especially easy for Delta 100, in my experience). How are you developing these films?

Well, they may well be overdeveloped (or under :) as I don't have very much experience with Delta. In the past I was using FP4 which is a very forgiving film. Delta seems to be a bit more finicky. In the nutshell, I use Ilford's DDX and try to stick to the "official" timings.

I don't think the effect I was describing is related to Delta only or the quality of the negative. I rescaned another negative last night, shot a while back with FP4, now as a color negative and, again, I got better results: more detail in highlights and shadows. OTOH, the difference I get from the scanning in color is not as obvious as when I rescan using VueScan (also as a color neg). What a wonderful program. Only now I realize how much I was missing with Minolta's soft.

Roman, if you get into Vuescan's "raw file" workflow, I would _not_ specify color negative as film type. All of the other choices will give identical "raw file". However, specifying color negative will cause Vuescan to shift the brightness of the red, green and blue components of the histogram, in a (misguided) atempt to compensate for color negative film's orange mask. Have another read thru my first thread. The Vuescan raw file will be identical will all other specified film types. And then, with scan-from-disk, you can try color neg, if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done GOBS of experimentation on this one - I have a Nikon LS-9000 scanner, and am scanning b/w film, and using vuescan. What works for me - is to scan it as slide film (generic) @ 48bit have the black & white points at 0%, and frog with the brightness until I see white and black in the negative. This is usually quite low - like 0.4 after that, I photoshop it the way I want (invert, channel mixer/monochrome). This gives me amazing range in tones. The brightness of a negative is confusing - if you jack it up too high, you blow out the tone. Also, I develop in diafine - it makes lousy prints, but great scans. Just my .02cents

Joe

After following this thread I decided to try the 'slide' route with my FP4+ / Scan Dual II / VueScan setup. What I found is great tonal range, but when I look at the levels in PS, it is heavily weighted to the dark side. To get a normal looking photo, I change my white from 255 to 175. The images are less contrasty and flatter than when I was scanning as a colour neg and desaturating. I haven't decided if I like it yet, but I will agree that there is more to work with, but seems to me there would be more post processing.

Does this sound right? (The result I mean)