Best MF film for fog/rain

lightminer

I am heading somewhere in a week that I am now finding will be

covered in fog and rain. However, if the fog decides to play well

with others this can still lead to really beautiful prints.

In a mostly gray environment - and note that there are really

bdeautiful gardens and a few marble buildings where I am going that

will now be in fog and rain - what is the best film people would

recommend for this?

I usually use both Velvia and E100VS.

Thanks!

Don't forget the tripod if you end up with a slow film. You didn't indicate whether or not you anticipated color or B&W. I still love good old Tri-x...guess it's what one's most comfortable with (and I still have a number of 120 rolls of it to use up sitting in the freezer).

I'd have to say "Slick, wet and glossy" between the two options above!

I definitely use a tripod and RRS pano gear, and for what its worth am using a Mamiya 645afd.

On the UC 400 - what about grain? How does the grain come out compared to a 100 speed film? I've heard good things about it.

I typically do color, although I've hand-developed many of my color negs into black and white, haven't tried that with a color positive film (I suppose you do no filter (versus a #3 or #5 with color neg), you just put in enlarger and go?)

TMax/TriX could be a good way to go in these conditions, however... And with the marble/granite buildings could be good. Is TriX/TMax going to be noticeably better than Velvia/EV100S after scanning and converting to B&W in photoshop?

Thanks for the ideas so far!

On the UC 400 - what about grain? How does the grain come out compared to a 100 speed film? I've heard good things about it.

It does not compare to E100G at all, but its not all that bad for a fast film. Its sharp for sure. Check the shot below. That is a drumscan at 2000 dpi of 35mm UC 400 film shot with a Contax TVS.

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/image/54637079

If you run NI and sharpen, it cleans up very well.

I typically do color, although I've hand-developed many of my color negs into black and white, haven't tried that with a color positive film (I suppose you do no filter (versus a #3 or #5 with color neg), you just put in enlarger and go?)

TMax/TriX could be a good way to go in these conditions, however... And with the marble/granite buildings could be good. Is TriX/TMax going to be noticeably better than Velvia/EV100S after scanning and converting to B&W in photoshop?

Not even close although Tmax is fairly clean. B+W is very difficult to scan, while E100G is the cleanest scanning film I have found. The best scanning B+W film I have used is Efke 25 and Copex microfilm.

I am almost of the opinion if you are going to scan you are better off shooting color film and desaturating.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

• 1 month later...