Advice for a wide zoom to d20 /eos 5d

anna_bentsen

because of the crop factor, if it's wide-angle on the 20d, either it won't work on the 5d or it will be ridiculously wide and optically poor on the 5d. The only lens that meets your requirements is the Sigma 12-24, which covers full frame, but is a very poor performer on a 5d.

However, depending on your choice of normal zoom for the 20d, you may not need to worry. A full-frame 'normal' zoom on the 20d, like the 17-40L will be an excellent wide zoom on the 5d.

Many people mention the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens but it will not fit a 5D but it will fit your 20D. Me personally I would not buy any EF-S lenses Period.

I would recommend the Canon 17-40mm F4L not sure if its wide enough for you but I like it.

DK.

I bought the 16-35 2.8L because I want it to work on all my cameras -- film, 1.6 crop, or FF sensor. And it does -- work very well! It's Canon's best zoom in its range. EF-S lenses are not investments; they are a commodity to be rapidly used up and eventually discarded. <p>Stick to a philospohy (the time-tested Canon EF set of lenses) and you'll be happiest. Canon will not be abandoning the 17-year-old EF mount standard anytime soon, if ever.

Anna, enjoy your new 20D and 24~105 lens. In my experience the 10~22 is a perfect companion to this lens at the wide end. Buy it now and use it, and if in due course you change to a camera body that does not accept EF-S lenses, you are very likely to be able to sell it easily at a good price. The 17~40 is a fine lens - I have one of those too - but only gives medium wide-angle coverage on the 20D and has a lot of overlap with the 24~105.

I've got the Sigma 15-30mm, and though it's good, I long for a wider angle than the effective 24mm. If I had to do it again, I'd pay a little more and get the Sigma 12-24mm, which gives about 19mm.

I'm reluctant to buy EF-S lenses from purely a financial point of view, though I'm aware my reluctance may be unjustified. As for functionality, I've casually tried the (EF-S) Tamron and Tokina (I think it's 11-18 and 12-24), and I found the Tokina less noisy and faster to focus. The Tokina has the advantage of being constant f4, too.

Anna,

How wide do you need to go? The concern about the 10-22 is a legitimate one. A lot of folks can never go too wide. To others like myself, a 24-70 even on my 20D is plenty. Personally, the possibility of going to a full frame camera in the future keeps me away from EF-S lenses too. From what I hear the 10-22 is a fine lens, but...

The 17-40 or 16-35 may give you all you want at the wide end now, and more if you go full frame later.Good Luck with your choice.

You could get the 16-35 or 17-40 but these are wide to normal on a crop camera. The 10-22 is super wide to wide.

It is the only way to get a superwide on a crop camera and is the only EF-s lens I would recommend even if, like me, you are planning on moving to full frame at some time.

However, if you getting the 5D in a few months don't bother.