Procesed in Fuji service - labs <br>

Scaned with Fuji Frontiera SP3000 scaner - 16base(~2400dpi) <br>

Time of day - MIDDAY - Outside temperature ~2deg celsius <br>

<br>

Now you can see and draw conclusions by you self :) <br>

Vivek

Nice!

Jovan

Thanks for the effort you took to show us all how the MTF translates into real-life applications for the 50/1.2.

Frankly, with due respect, if I'm shooting such pictures in broad daylight, I'd be better off shooting with a Micro 55/2.8.

The 50/1.2 is made for low-light applications and for what it's worth, it works pretty well for some of us here on this forum. Vivek's a good example (or did he have an excellent sample? ; )). I'm sure if you looked in this forum at some of the pictures taken with this lens, you'd agree that there some applications for which this lens shines.

Cheers

Al

Hello Jovan,<p>

I never got the whole 50mm Nikkor text together because the problem was of how to present the data. I have some summary tables made, but I'm pretty sure with this group that they will want to see the pictures that went into the conclusions. That would result in dozens if not hundreds of photos from each of these lenses, at all apertures. Also, it was not clear with the trend towards digital and Nikon's preference for APS sensors whether there is much use to comparing the 50mm lenses any more. Now of course, it would be interesting if we could compare the 50mm f/1.4 ZF Zeiss lens to the Nikkors.<p>If folks have ideas on how to present the data, I may be able to put together a reasonably sized report.

"That would result in dozens if not hundreds of photos from each of these lenses, at all apertures."

If one includes distances, it will work out to a lot more photos than I would ever make with any of my 50mm lenses in my lifetime! Astounding!

No 50mm comes close to the 50mm f/2 Summicron-R. I will modify one for a Nikon F one of these days.

Very Interesting !

I can see, at least based on the data from the chart, why there is debat on WHICH Nikon

50mm to get. By F4 they are all very similar. The 1.8 seems to be the one to get for it's

range of stops. From 2.8 on, it seems to be the BEST lens. If you REALLY need the fast f-

stops, the 1.2 is clearly better, but....Is the price worth it ? The 1.4 seems to only be better

than the 1.8 at 1.8 and 2.0 .

I wonder if there is a chart for the original 35mm f2.0 AF ( non D ) lens ?

Jovan, a deep thank you for these chart, I think they are very useful.

I bought a 50/1.2 less than two weeks ago. I was for business in Tokyo and, since during the day I had to work, I had only evenings for pictures. I am not a tripod guy, I just go around and take picture of people so hand holding the camera for me is a must.

Without the 50/1.2 I wouldn't have been able to shoot at all. Anyhow, it is interesting to see how at 1.8 this lens outperforms the AF/1.8 which I also own.

I also find it very interesting to see what the "sweet spot" of the lens is... from time to time there is more light and knowing that at f4 I'll get the best MTF is not bad.

It would be interesting to see the MTF for this lens at "portrait range"... but I guess you ain't going to repeat all your tests!

From the MTF the F1.2 is the best fast lens at F2.0 and at the top at F2.8 and F4.0 too. Given that it has 9 iris blades it has nice bokeh.

On a DX sensor camera that cuts away the edges you are left with a lens that beats some of its competion that cost several times more money. On a Nikon DSLR it makes a great 75mm lens at F2.0 and smaller apertures.

Thank you all for suporting my effort. <br>

Dear Robert, I didn't want to name or to blame you for anything. <br>

I do my part of the deal and you do your's but results have to be <br> articulater in some well formed REVIEW with test pictures, details, 100% <br> crops, charts and lot of tehnicalitis to became objectiv as posible.<br>

Writung and text has to be minimal and in function of ILLUSTRATING the pictures. <br>

We are in picture bisnis, showe us a pictures... <br><br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3115657">Nightshot - 50mm 1.2~1.4- Poor women - bag</a>

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>I just get this lens - Nikkor 50mm 1.2 and… it's just amazing! It's a great pleasure to photograph with!<br>

Here you can see some NEF's I made - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3akmexHeHI_SkhaYjRheVlFWnM&usp=sharing<br>

I guess there is a little back focusing with the D90 I have, not sure about it as I shoot handheld, there is a shift in colour and contrast for sure - getting warmer when close to 1.2, you can see it in the samples… I didn't saw this issue so strong on other lenses actually… what's the explanation?</p>

<p>In any case - great lens!</p>