EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM comments

mubeen_mughal

I just bought the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 lens by trading in some of my

orther stuff. I really like the build though it's really heavy and

bulky. I'm using it on an EOS3. The focus ring is really smooth

for an auto-focus lens. In my non-scientific visual observation, I

found it to be really sharp when wide open and had good colors and

contrast too when wide open. Here are some comparison photos:<div>00DoBh-25996884.thumb.jpg.35235dbcc88109a42aad0641c586fd6e.jpg</div>

Hi Michael,

I searched on photo.net and the web to find out about the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 lens which I wanted to buy. I found a lot of negative reviews such as it had quality control and sharpness problems, and others who questioned whether it was worth it paying a premium price for this lens.

So I am comparing how this lens fares in general everyday (non-scientific, and non-controlled) shooting situations against a Canon wide prime-lens, a Canon standard consumer zoom, a point and shoot digital camera, and a digital SLR with a prime fast tele. I am also comparing the rendition of film scans and digital originals.

In short, I am trying to compare the lens in real-world everyday applications, and am more interested to read of positive and negative comments from existing owners and prospective buyers of the lens, and to see what criteria they use in judging and comparing this lens to the others. All said and done, its about sharing with, and learning from one another.

I hope I answered your question.

Any kid with a computer can write any drivel he wants to an online forum. The 24-70L is a professional quality lens that is used regularly by photojournalists. It's a very popular lens among people who make their living making photographs. Go to any media event and look at the lenses used by the pros. Sure, at the football games they're using the big long white lenses. But the crowds of press photogs with their 1D series bodies shooting celebs and pols are very likely to have the 24-70L attached.

Quote: <i>But the crowds of press photogs with their 1D series bodies shooting celebs and pols are very likely to have the 24-70L attached.<i><br><br>

What he said, though I would say the press photogs most commonly have two lenses, the 24-70L and the 70-200 2.8 IS L.

• 8 months later...