Travel lens quandry...

marke_gilbert

After having abandoned 35mm almost entirely in favor of MF, a few

months ago I picked up an F6, Mb-40, 50mm 1.4, and 14mm f2.8. LOVE the

camera, and it has already paid for itself.

<P>That being said, I am taking a trip to Korea in December, and

looking to travel reasonably light. I tend to shoot wide to normal

lengths, so I am trying to decide what to take-- At this point, I am

thinking F6 (without the MB-40), the 14mm, 50mm, sb-800 and either:

<P>Choice 1: 20/24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 85mm 1.8

<P>OR

<P>Choice 2: some wide/tele zoom, in the 24/28-70/80 range, fixed 2.8

(I am not opposed to third party).

<P>All thoughts and experiences appreciated.

<P>Thanks

<P>Marke Gilbert

<P>www.mdgfineart.com

I use a 35mm f/2 AIS lens as my normal lens on my F3. It sees the world like I do, and doesn't have too much distortion for people photos. I find the 50mm focal length pretty boring compared to the 35mm, so I would leave that lens at home if I were you...

14mm, 35mm, 85mm primes should cover about all you need. If you're into saving weight, I found the Nikon 28-105mm 3.5/4.5 zoom to be very nice for traveling too.

Dave

I go with the widest zoom you have. Unless you are shooting wifelife or sports overseas. I have taken some big lenses with me like a 80-200mm and 300mm ( using film)and found I rarely used them and added quite of bit of weight to my bag. I went to Australia 3 weeks ago and only took one lens this time,a 24-85mm AF-D. I was on a D2h. I used the same lens before and used it 90% on film but I could used a wider lens on the digital. Maybe carry a teleconverter? I could of used one when Cucktoos,Galas and Rosellas were feeding in my new Australian home's backyard. I once went to London and only took 2 lenses( with film), a 19-35mm AF and the 80-200mm AF. I needed the tele only once for the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace.

Don't be in a quantry -- be decisive! ;-)

For light travel to the other side of the world, get the inexpensive and exquite do-it-all travel lens -- the wonderful Tamron 28-300mm! Don't laugh, I would pair this lens with my F6 at any time unless I am on a photo tour. An additional wide angle would be nice too.

Marke, I have a F4 and a F5 , and most of the nikon AF lenses. I just spent 3 weeks in Croatia and Italy. I have learned over the years to travel lighter than I used to . On this trip I took my contax G2's for the great biogon wide angles and a Nikkormat FTN with a 180mm 2.8 maunal focus lens as well as the 24mm 2.8 nikkor. I did use the contax and shot chrome for a travel story, but most of the photos I took that I really liked, out of the 50 rolls of film I shot, were B&W using the 180mm.This camera does not have all the bells and whistles ,but the meter was right on. I probably would have taken my Nikon F with the straight prism as it's just as light, I just sometimes don't have that extra hand to deal with the removable back.

For travel, I take my Nikon 28-70mm AF f3.5-4.5, and a 24 mm AF f 2.8 or a 20mm AF f 2.8, or both, depending on how wide I think I need to go. All of these lenses are small and light weight but take excellent quality images. If I have room, I add the 70-210mm AF 4.0-5.6 zoom lens, which usually gets used only a few times, usually for portraits and details on buildings, etc. I use the 28-70 zoom about 80% of the time. A better choice would be a 24-xxx zoom lens around f 3.5-4.5. My daughter uses a Nikon 24-120mm f 3.5-5.6D AF-IF lens and it produces great results. Definitely take the flash. Not all of my recommendations are still being made by Nikon, but are available used. Joe smith

One lens? Easy. AF-S 24-85/3.5-4.5 G. No, it's not f/2.8, but I love 24mm more than I love f/2.8. It's a good range, it doesn't weigh too much and it's very sharp.

If I don't care about weight I'll take my 20-35/2.8D, 80-200/2.8 ED and maybe a 50/1.4. Slower lenses might be desirable if you're going to be walking much.

I'm afraid lenses don't take boring or interesting photographs, photographers do.

My favorite travel setup is 20/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2 and 180/2.8. You have the 14 mm, which is quite extreme on film, I have the same lens but haven't really figured out what good to do with it on film (I use it on my D70 though).

A 28 mm would fit well between your 14 mm and 50 mm. But the 14 mm and 28/1.4 are quite heavy together, so the 28/2.8 might be a better bet (although it probably isn't quite as good). I really love the 105 mm focal length and would definitely consider the 105/2 for travel. Fabulous image quality.

Zoom? Well, the 17-35 fits between your 14 mm and 50 mm and is generally known as an excellent lens. However, it's again a heavy lens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marke,

I prefer the ultrawide range in f/2.8 like 17-35 for interior where low light is there.

I have found that most pics where with 85mm so my travel combo is 17-35mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 or 1.8 and 180mm f/2.8 I may even go without the 180mm by this you gruantee 1- high qualiy pics 2- minimum weight 3- minimum risck when changing lenses.

Whaever you choos, good luck

Mohamed Alam Eldin