Hi all, my first post.

Been thinking about diving into film and/or digital in a serious way

for a while and it seems to me Pentax is the best option as all old

lenses can be used on current equipment (quality and flexibility,

not to mention cost-savings).

I'm thinking of buying a Pentax Asahi SP II now and leaving my

options open for a Pentax 67ii medium format and/or a Pentax *istD2

(what's with that name??)later...is this a good all-round way to go

or should I be barking up the Olympus OM tree..?

-Graeme.

Hi Graeme.

Personally I think you can't beat Pentax's flexability. I would more likely go with a K mount body myself (as opposed to a screw mount SP II) because it opens up SO many possibilities. Let me clue you in on just a smattering.

If you do go with the 67 using an adaptor you can use the lenses on any non-crippled K mount body (bodies other than the ZX/MZ-30/50/60 or ist*).

The new digital Pentax bodies can use any screw mount/K mount/Pentax 645/Pentax 67 lens.

Pentax has tons of hidden features that are wonderful and almost unique. Snap-focus come to mind where one can have the camera take photos remotely using manual lenses.

Do you need a fantastic 500mm f4.5 lens for under $500? Check out an old Takumar.

Pentax lens line is very extensive.

Olympus OMs while WONDERFUL lenses are no longer being made.

Just my $0.02

Yes, you can get a screw to K mount adapter; but if you use screw mount lenses with the adapter you'll have to use stop down metering. Either focussing with the lens stopped down to the chosen f/stop (will be dim) or focusing with the lens wide open and then manually stopping the lens down to meter/shoot. I'm sure it's not the worst thing in the world and the lenses are generally cheaper; but K mount lenses are a little easier. If the K mount lens has an "A" setting it will be even easier to use on the DSLR's.

A good ME Super or MX would be my choices (if you wanted a film camera for now) depending on the features you wanted. Both can be had cheaply and seem to be pretty robust. I've owned and enjoyed both. The small size is the kicker for me. They easily fit in my jacket pocket with a 50 or 28mm lens.

Now it's time for some shameless self promotion. I listed my ME Super for sale on EBAY last night in case you're interested-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7567427953&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Good luck whatever you decide.

Alan

no, graeme, you're not wrong.

i started taking pictures with a spotmatic F that i still use. those things were absolute tanks, and the 50/1.4 supermulticoated is a thing of beauty.

when i moved to digital, the only logical step was pentax, so i bought the istD and a m42-k adapter. the adapter lets you use your m42 lenses on a digital camera, bought it limits your possibilities. for example, you have to stop down in order for the camera to take a correct reading. if you are not stopped down when you press the green button, it reads it as if the aperture were wide open, and will take the picture as such. so that means you either have to focus while stopped down and then meter and take the picture OR focus, stop down, meter and shoot. if you are not stopped down when you shoot, it won't automatically stop down for you, so you get a picture taken at your widest-open aperture.

with the k-mounts lenses, it will automatically stop-down when you release the shutter...

just something to think about. i use my m42 lenses on the digital back and it works fine, but i am in the market for some K-mount lenses now.

Graeme,

I believe there is a slight error in the above noted postings. (I can't see it at this moment so I'm going from memory)

For a screw mount body to use a K mount lens you need a special adaptor that has an optical element, it is actually a kind of teleconvertor. Your 100mm f2.8 lens will effectively be something like a 140mm f4 lens. These adaptors are uncommon and expensive (about $80) and typically degrade the image some.

Going the other way, using a screw mount lens on a K mount body there is NO optical element. Therefore your 100mm f2.8 screw mount is a 100mm f2.8 lens and there is no optical degradation. This adaptor is cheap (less than $20). And while you do have to do stop-down focusing, with any K-mount non-crippled body that offers aperature priority you get that option, which is very nice. There are clearly times when full manual exposure is the way to go, but when you want to be spontanious it is much easier to have access to aperature priority (meaning you just set the aperature and let the camera select the shutter speed).

The M42-K, is just a metal ring that screws onto the lens, and then goes into the k mount body, no glass, fairly common and would take about 45 minutes to make for a competant machinest. other than that you'd be better off with a more modern body such as the MX or LX, even the K1000 would suffice, would recomend though. The SMC coating is the best, IMHO, lens coating around and the optical construction of the pentax lenses is about the same, sure they have some dog lenses, but whom doesn't, the DA 18-55 that would/may come with your D/S(2)/L is a highly underrated lens.

If 'size is a factor' and price is a factor a steal of an incredible camera is the Super Program/Super A. It offers so much in a tiny camera that it is simply hard to fathom the dirt-cheap price. TTL flash, AP, SP, Manual, Depth of view preview, exposure options to 15 seconds, 2 motor drive options, several other optional pieces of equipment, even an indicator an indicator to let you know you spooled the film in correctly.

The LX is a dream camera, solid as a tank, with fantastic metering method and numerous viewer and screan options but a good body will run you typically 3 to 4 times as much as what the Super Program will run you.

Got to put in a few mad props for the Pentax MZ-S. I recently got an MZ-S, and I love this camera. If you want a smallish AF SLR, I think it's worth your while to check one of these out if you can find one. I think $400 to $500 on ebay, whereas I found a NOS closeout for slightly more.

The MZ-S exposure calcs with negative print film (I haven't used slide film with it yet) have been dead on, even in some pretty tricky lighting. I'd have to say it's more reliable when left to its own devices than even the DS. And the handling is a pleasure in itself. With the 40mm pancake mounted it's both as lightweight and more jacket-pocketable as my former Bessa R with 35mm lens.