Portrait Lens for D50

jeffrey_aiello_photography

I already have the 18-55mm kit lens and a 70-300 lens for my D50. I'd

like to get a macro-portrait lens.

What's a good macro-portrait lens for my D50? Over lunch I was told

that the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro is a good lens.

Please let me know what you think and any other lenses you'd suggest.

I'd like to keep the price of the lens in the $350 range.

Thanks,

jeff

That is the only one. There is a 105 macro isn't there? Thou may be a tad long in times. Not sure about manual lenses but u have a D50.

Oh yeah 35-70 f/2.8 is another but its less than a true macro lens. Zoom is push pull design. The 24-85/2.8-4 D is another isn't it? A twist zoom but they are less of a macro lens than the primes.

If you can settle for about 1:4 in the macro range, the 35-70/2.8 AFD is an extremely fine lens - sharp, with negligible distortion. The used price for KEH excellent grade is about $350. The 60/2.8 macro is also a sharp lens, and can focus down to 1:1, but has much less adaptability for general use. The macro working distance is very short with either lens.

The 35-70mm f2.8D Nikkor is 'macro' only at the 35mm end. 70mm and 50mm are not in the ball park compared to the AF 60mm Micro-Nikkor or the AF 105mm Micro-Nikkor lenses.

Tamron makes a 90mm macro lens that will work OK on your D50.

Hey Jeff,

Ok... I was recently in your situation, so I did my research. Keep in mind that the Nikon D50/70/70s etc. etc. has a 1.5 crop factor. So a 60mm lens would be equivelant to a 90mm in 35mm terms.

The 60mm 2.8 macro lens is a GREAT way to go. But... and yes there is a but... you would be shorting yourself a lens if you end up shooting on film.

That irritates me. I'd never buy a special purpose lens unless it worked on film and digital. I opted for the Tamron 90mm 2.8. Great lens. It's equivelant to a 135mm, and can still work as a portrait lens on my n80.

On a side note, I'd never buy a dx lens either because I firmly believe that full frame dslr's will be on the market pretty soon. Of course pretty soon is totally debateable, but you get the point.

I hope this helps.

Pat

P.S.

Other portrait/macro lenses:

Sigma 105 2.8 macro - Great lens, I have one for my Canon setup.

Tokina 100 2.8 macro - Recently rated in this months Pop Photo. Some relaly interesting features on this lens too.

Nikon 105 2.8 Defocus Control - Great portrait lens, sweet Defocus Control, but no macro.

Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro - Good lens.

I thikn that about covers it. And honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of these lenses.

• 2 weeks later...