M39 to Nikon

jon_noble

Hello, I had a brainwave the other day and tried to take pictures

throught my Leitz Elmar copy (50mm f3.5) on my D70. This waas done by

just holding it in the mount. Results were surprisingly good, could

only use it as a macro lens.

So, my question is. Where can i get a M39 to Nikon adaptor?<div>00Es5w-27539284.jpg.8731cedcc86ee4328cc285e80e3b4ff0.jpg</div>

Also NIKLEI (thicker than the -K, I think the K is short for kurz, short) and NIKLEI-P (thicker still, orientable like a T-2 adapter). I think Vivek is a bit optimistic about how little they'll cost. Maybe on eBay.de before postage to the US. At least the NIKLEI is still available new, try B&H.

Nikon made the adapter to, IIRC its designated El-F. Somewhat of a cult item, much more expensive than the Novoflex adapters.

But if you want to shoot close up, you're much better off with a proper macro lens or even a 50/2 Nikkor on bellows or extension tubes.

"FWIW, the original L-F adaptor from Nikon is unmarked. Yes, they are very much sought after" (Vivek). Yes, this is true. No markings at all. But beautifully made like most Nikon gear from those long-gone days. People should not seek for them in my photomacrographic gear drawers, because I have many, but never had too many, of them :)

It's very easy to make your own adapter though. Buy a M39-T2 plus an "F" mount T2 adapter and surgically unite them. Takes 60 secs. Add a drop of superglue to finish the job. Won't look as polished as the Nikon original but otherwise it will be up to the task.

"It's very easy to make your own adapter though. Buy a M39-T2 plus an "F" mount T2 adapter and surgically unite them. Takes 60 secs."

Well thats one better than what i was going to do which was cut a camera body cap to fit and sort out a mounting procedure (probably elastic bands)

Thanks for the advice guys. I dont really want to fork out for something expensive for just an idea. Looks like im going to dust off my bodging hat

It is abit sad that "M39 to Nikon adaptors" are abit rare today. These NIKON adapters were about 7 bucks new in the late 1960's; the BR2 52mm filter to F ring was 8.5 dollars new. Cambridge and Spiratone carried lower cost knock offs of both of these adapters that were abit rougher in finish, but still fully 100% functional. The last real Nikon 39mm to f adapter I got off of ebay a couple years back was about 28 bucks. During trading on shutterbug yellow rag in the 1970's, you could buy the rings say for 3 bucks; and resell them at no more than say 6 as used. It but this in perspective, the 50mm F4 El Nikkor I got in the mid 1960's was 38 dollars, the 39mm ring to F was 7 bucks.

• 1 year later...