On Being Famous

akochanowski

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the responses I get to my cameras. I've owned a 8 or so vehicles through the years...a couple of Volvo's, a Previa (Toyota) at the moment...but the most fun, for various reasons was an Alfa Romeo Coupe. One of the things I liked was the comraderie of Alfa owners. Whenever one passed you on the road you got a wave and flash of the headlights. Once on the highway I passed a Montreal (a late 70's Alfa), who turned around on the highway, chased me for 1/2 mile, flashing his headlights, and when I stopped, found out he just wanted to talk 'Alfa's' for a bit...which we did for 1/2 hour. Great fun.

Alpa was considered in the same class as Leica years ago, and priced about the same. The Switar and Kinoptic lenses were as good as they got. It was an awkward camera to handle, however, what with the wind lever going front to back and the external auto diaphragm coupling. The Swiss workmanship could easily hold its own against the finest coming out of Wetzlar.

having a small book of your work to engage people was somehow perverse

It seems to me to be a perfectly sensible to carry a small portfolio of your work in your camera bag, particularly if you are doing street photography. It proves you are a photographer, makes for conversation, and you are not some weirdo.

When some pesky stranger enquires about my clunky old material possession, a.k.a. Leica MP and bokeh master summicron IV lens, I whip out my James Legge translation of the I Ching. I proceed to engage them in a deep soul searching discussion on spirituality and the Zen art of urbane photography. Then we discuss the Zen art of pretentious one-upmanship as practiced on photo.net. ;-)

"It seems to me to be a perfectly sensible to carry a small portfolio of your work in your camera bag, particularly if you are doing street photography. It proves you are a photographer, makes for conversation, and you are not some weirdo."

Allen, "Mini portfolio", Eric put it nicely. Is that that difficult for some to write if they think they are genuinely trying to contribute something useful? To deliver it as if it is result of a great "vision' never thought of by anyone before them or around them is completely counter productive.

To trash another well regarded photog's work is not exactly a sign of humility or greatness in my book of street wisdom. It is simply unimaginable that such folks are capable of approaching anyone in their own neighborhood and "engaging" them in a "conversation".

I don't have a Leica, but if I see someone with them I will often say hello and they usually seem to like that.

I had a great reaction to a ROLLEI 35 once: a cute girl saw it and smiled wide and said "WOW! You have a FASHION camera!". I was pleased.

The first time I went out with my Hasselblad I had a guy with a LEICA over his shoulder (I am pretty sure) slow down as he passed and growl out "Haaaasselblaaaaaaaaaaad....niiiiiiiiiiiice". Again, I was all smiles.

The reverse side was taking a picture of a tree on a Glasgow street recently, with HB on tripod, I had a terrible Glasgow drunk come up and mutter "Is thaaat a Rooolllleeeei ?" and then breathe most unpleasantly at me about some awful rubbish related vaguely to how he once saw one twenty years ago.

The funniest comment was someone (educated and intelligent) look in my chimney finder at the matte screen and exclaim "Gosh - it's a digital ? But it looks so old"

I hope you do not mind me trespassing in your forum with my size 8 muddy Hasselblad boots.

[And yes, ALFAS are great - I used to get similar kind of reaction from CAMEL FILTER smokers back when I smoked them.....it takes all sorts to make these little connections]

Robert

"One time, in Paris, I had my M6 and we were in a crowd. I spotted another owner with his. Not a word was exchanged, but we nodded and smiled to each other as we both very slightly raised our cameras as if the cameras were saying hello to each other. It was really cool"

With the same money of a Leica I can fill my emptiness paying the services of a lots of pretty girls