Should I consider other options if EF lenses don't work on XTi?

ripley

I have a Rebel film SLR with two canon EF ultrasonic autofocus lenses: 28-80

1:3.5-5.6 II and 75-300 1:4-5.6 II. Took the lenses to the camera store and

tried them on the Rebel XTi. The 75-300 worked fine. The 28-80 worked

manually, but would not autofocus. I've read on these forums that these lenses

are the worst Canon made. I'm not a pro, but I got some very good photos with

these lenses. If I use my telephoto on the XTi, will the photos be "worse"

than on my Rebel film camera? Should I invest in another 75-300 lens? The

Canon EF 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 USM has been recommended as a decent telephoto, but

if the photos won't be significantly better than my current telephoto, I'd

rather spend the money on a different kit lens. I want the 300mm range for my

bird shots (and am glad to know I will get the "effect" of a 400mm-plus on a

dslr).

I'm also a Pentax fan (still have my first SLR, the Pentax K1000 SE...for

those old enough to remember it)so I also looked at the Pentax K100d. I liked

the feel of it, and the image stabilization is a big plus. So if I can't use

my Canon 28-80 on the XTi, and am going to have to re-invest in another Canon

telephoto, I would consider the Pentax K100d instead. I mostly do bird

photography, an occasional group event, family and kid photos, some sports,

and rarely enlarge above 5 x 7.

Does anyone have experience with old lenses on the XTi? Any idea why the 28-80

doesn't work? What would be a good lens to replace the kit lens (and possibly

telephoto lens). And any opinions on the Pentax K100d?

The 100-300 is a MUCH better lens than the 75-100 you have now, and well priced. Just checked some shots I took with mine this afternoon, and even at 300/5.6 I was rather impressed (on my 20D). It's slow, but sharp

I'm a dedicated Canoneer, but that Pentax looks well worth checking out

I'm afraid I cannot answer your questions about those specific lenses. However, when you

consider their value in terms of useful focal lengths, do keep in mind that your XTi will

have a smaller cropped sensor and, as such, the lenses will give you more magnification

than they did on the film camera.

For example, the 28-80 will act like approximately a 45-130mm lens on the XTi. A

75-300 on the XTI performs like a 120-480 on your film body. So even if you keep those

lenses you will find that you can't cover the same range you did before. In particular you

will be missing anything wider than "normal."

For what it is worth, the newest Pentax DSLR is getting quite good reviews. I'm a Canon

owner now, though I owned Pentax in the past - it is good to see that Pentax is competing

effectively now.

Your 28-80 is an EF lens and should mount and function on the Xti unless the lens itself is defective.

In my film days I shot Pentax too. I'm sure the K100D is a good little camera, it depends on what you plan to do. If you think you might expand your photography beyond an entry level DSLR and a couple of inexpensive lenses, you'll have a whole world of options with Canon, where as the Pentax line up is limited. Anyway, like I said, any EF or EF-S mount Canon lens will work on the Rebel Xti. Good luck.

Donna,

Have you checked the 28-80 on your film slr since your test? If not, make sure the lens is working properly in the first place. I haven't heard of too many compatibility problems with EF lenses on Canon's newer dSLRs, but hey, you never know.

As for the Pentax dSLR... I have a friend who loves his *ist DL, so their cameras are still very good, and their cameras work with most, if not all, of their older lenses. My only fear is that the Pentax/Hoya merger may be a bad omen. I haven't seen too many recent mergers that ended well...

Just used it a couple of weeks ago, but now it is not working on my film camera. I should have checked that out. Thanks. Based on posted "opinions", I don't think I'll have it repaired either. Looks like I'll have to go with new lenses no matter what I decide. Maybe I should just go with one of those cameras you find on your table at weddings.

The XTi kit will come with the Canon 18-55 lens which, while still a kit lens, will give you about the same field of view as your 28-80 does on your film Rebel.

You don't need to buy new lenses. Stick with your telephoto and with the lens that comes with the XTi and you will be happy for a very long time. Just make sure you take the time to learn your new camera (whichever one you purchase) because you will have a lot more control over image capture than you did with your Rebel.

Best of luck.

"If I use my telephoto on the XTi, will the photos be "worse" than on my Rebel film camera? " - Try them and look at the results before you buy new. What does it cost you to do that? <p> "Maybe I should just go with one of those cameras you find on your table at weddings." - If you're even 1/2 way serious about that, you need to pause and rethink what it is you're trying to do before you dump a bunch of money.

Donna,

Based on the gear you already own, the 18-55mm kit lens will probably seem like an improvement, anyway. It isn't a great lens, but it will get you decent images until you outgrow it, and you can't beat the price. It typically adds around $100 to the cost of a XT/XTi.

If the 75-300 still works, and you didn't have a problem with it before, wait until you do to decide on a new lens. Don't just buy lenses because you are buying a new camera. Go digital, then assess your needs from there. I think non-professionals should buy gear in stages, especially from the film/digital switch point. Buy a camera you like. Then use it and the basic lenses (18-55 and the 75-300 you have) for as long as you can. Then upgrade the lenses. Once you have a decent lens outfit, then upgrade the camera, and repeat ad nauseum. I'm slowly transitioning myself from Pentax film to Canon film and digital. I've only just accumulated enough Canon gear to finally let my pentax gear go, and it took a year and a half. I've just aquired my first L lens, and some other higher-end gear, but my Rebel XT probably won't get upgraded until mid 2008.

Keep in mind, you'll shoot a heck of a lot more with digital, especially for the first few months, so you'll know pretty quickly what gear you do and don't need. DSLR's do actually present a learning curve.

The point is, don't rush into new gear. Ease into it.

Donna,

Sheldon is right, of course, if you are even remotely serious about the disposable camera comment, then a dSLR isn't a good idea. Far too often I hear somebody tell me that they could "take better pictures if they had an 'expensive' camera like" mine. It isn't the camera, it is the person behind it.

If you are a very occasional & casual shooter (which I don't think you probably are) then you might consider a P&S digital instead. I'd say, if you've never left the house ONCE for the sole purpose of just taking pictures, you might not be serious enough to need an SLR of any kind. And if you are more a birder than a photographer, you might consider a binoculars/spotting scope with an integral digicam instead.

I think your comment was just an expression of frustration with regards to the vast scope of gear availible, but I'd hate for you to make an expensive mistake, like so many people are doing these days.

Donna,

In addition to cleaning the contact, this sounds like a stupid question, but it happens a lot, make sure the AF selector on the lens is firmly in the AF, rather than MF, position. Sometimes it can get stuck half way on some lenses.

1) Can't believe you guys thought I was serious about the "cameras on the tables at weddings!" lol!

2) The autofocus on my 28-80 lens is broken. A couple of weeks ago I handed the camera to someone to take a couple of family photos, and I am guessing she was turning the focus ring (while on AF)instead of the zoom barrel. I had to get my Sigma 18-28mm repaired for the same reason last year.

3)I did take a couple of test photos with my 75-300 at the camera store, and they looked ok, but I'd prefer to test it out on a Hummingbird at my feeder, which I can't do since they won't let me take the camera home (not to mention Hummingbirds don't hang around Wisconsin in the winter.)

4) I've had a Fujifilm E550 digital for a couple of years and am very happy with the photos that are taken outside in daylight, or closeup inside. But I use my Rebel film camera for the "good stuff", so am looking forward to learning the dslr.

5) Pentax has a great rebate going on right now...$150 off if you buy the K100d plus the zoom telephoto, but it's only a 50-200mm zoom,

and I really want at least 300mm. I have several old Pentax telephoto lenses, but I'm not going digital to use lenses that I'll have to guess at settings and manually focus (except maybe I'd use my f1.4 50mm occasionally), SO...

6) I think the advice to go with the XTi with the kit lens and use my 75-300 for now is sound. I'll see what those Hummingbirds look like this summer, and will probably eventually upgrade lenses.

What I'd really like is a combination of three dslr's... That bright viewfinder on the Nikon D80, the in-camera IS in the Pentax K100d, and two good Canon lenses to cover wide angle to way out there.

Donna,

Oh, bummer on the 28-80. If you keep your Canon film Rebel around and need coverage in that range for it, you can probably replace it for under $100. I just picked up a 28-80 mk. I (which has a real ring USM with FTM, a metal mount, and a distance scale) for about that much. I needed coverage between 50 and 70, and that was the cheapest option with full time manual.

I was pretty sure you weren't serious about the wedding camera comment, but you can never be sure around here. ;)

Earlier in this thread there was some talk about Canon's 100-300 USM lens, and someone piped in and said it was much better than what you have. This is not true from an optical standpoint. Optically it's nearly identical. It does have faster AF and better handling though. The new Canon 70-300 is considerably better than the 75-300 though.

But the 75-300 that you have now will probably be fine for what you want it for. It won't get any worse by putting it on an XTi. Any prints you make should look as good or better than it did with film.

I can't count the loss of the 28-80 a loss at all. I think you're better off with the newer 18-50 that usually comes with the XTi, and the difference is worth the extra $100 or so that it costs. It's not really a great lens either, but it is better than the 28-80, and the focal length range works better with the XTi anyway.

The XTi is a very good camera, however I personally think that IS is almost always worth paying for. So if you are not going to invest in higher cost IS lenses from Canon (or Sigma) then I think the K100d (or better the K10d) is the better camera to get. Canon has a more complete lens and flash selection, but it's almost all extra stuff that you are not likely to get anyway, so I think that is a moot point. The Pentax is an equal, or near equal, on most points, and has a better viewfinder system. Plus you really can use your old lenses for it, or buy some very inexpensive alternative used lenses for special occasions. And IS works with them all. This is just a personal opinion from a happy Canon user.

Jim, I have the impression (apologies if I'm wrong) that you are thinking about the 75~300 IS lens in comparison with the 100~300. What Donna has is one of the non-IS budget 75~300 lenses, of which there have been a succession with very minor differences. I think the consensus would probably be that the 100~300 was superior to those lenses optically as well as in other ways. I used to have a 100~300, and it wasn't too bad a performer, but I never used it again (even for its compactness) after I bought a 100~400, and eventually sold it. I don't think it's a good purchase now even for FF, and certainly not for 1.6-factor digital, where the 300mm end is of very limited use in the absence of IS, and the optical limitations would be cruelly obvious.

Donna, I am sure that it is not worth repairing the 28~80 - many repairers would refuse to touch it anyhow. I think the advice to get the 18~55 kit lens is good, since it is a negligible-cost way of getting the feel of work with a 1.6-factor camera and assessing what you really need. You can regard your existing 75~300 in a similar light - it will show you what can be achieved with 300mm on 1.6-factor, and probably convince you pretty quickly of the need for IS and higher quality. The cheapest way to achieve that improvement will almost certainly be with the 70~300IS, but if you are bitten by the lens quality bug you may want to look beyond that.

Robin,

I don't think that there is any difference in sharpness between the 75-300 IS and non-IS. The general consensus is that the 100-300/4.5-5.6 is no better than the 75-300/4-5.6. There is an older 100-300/5.6L that is an excellent lens. Slow and a push/pull design but if you can find one at a reasonable price.

If you have the money the 70-300/4-5.6 IS is the way to go. Probably sharper than the 100-300/5.6L, certainly competitive, plus you get IS.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/x-300.html

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef_70_300is_review.html

Robin, I have to agree with Alistair. All the Canon 75-300's (IS version included) are all about the same optically as the 100-300 USM. At one time or another I've owned them all. They are all pretty decent up to 200mm, and after that they are soft, and only improve a little bit by stopping down. I always preferred the 100-300 USM though, as it was a much nicer lens to use.

OK, it seems it would be a waste of money to buy another Canon xx-300mm zoom lens UNLESS (in my budget range) it is the non-DO EF 70-300 IS USM. That makes sense. Although when I use my 75-300 zoom, I'm in the 300mm range 90% of the time, so maybe (down the road) I should consider the 300mm L lens instead.

On the other hand, Jim is right about the Pentax. I think I've made up my mind, but I keep steering back to the K100d. It really would be a good (and less expensive) dslr for my needs. I like the way it handles, I like the viewfinder, and I like the built-in IS. The only thing that is making me hesitate is that their new lenses designed specifically for their DSLR's (the DA lenses) seem limited. The kit lens is supposed to be better than the Rebel kit lens. But their DA telephoto zoom (in their rebate offer) is the P-DA 50-200. I know that on the dslr that will be somewhat equal to my canon 75-300 lens, but I'd still prefer the 70-300 range. Is there an alternative brand 70-300 range lens that would work with the Pentax K100d AND be comparable to the Canon 70-300 IS USM? Is it likely Pentax will be coming out with an 70/75-300 DA zoom in the future? I very much appreciate all the knowledge, advice and opinions.

Sigma makes an APO version of its 70-300. It's better than Canon's 75-300, but not as good as Canon's 70-300. It's generally priced around $250, as I recall. Since the Pentax has in-body IS, it's a pretty good match. I assume the Sigma tele is available in Pentax mount, but not everything is. Sigma also makes a very good 100-300 f/4 lens. Larger and far more money than the 70-300's, but it is a good choice for a decent lens.

I have no idea what Pentax's future lens plans are, but unlike Canon and others, Pentax has published a "road map" of their planned future camera & lens offerings. I know that it has been available on the net. It doesn't give all the details though, and plans often change.

Pentax has a 60-250 f4 USM and a 70-300 due later this year, but currently if you want a telephoto zoom you'd have to buy one of their film zooms, most likely the 80-320. The K100D is a great little camera, but for telephoto work on the cheap, what you save on the K100D you'll spend tracking down the better Pentax long lenses.

I found the Pentax "road map" of lenses, and the announcement of the new Pentax digital DA 60-250 and 70-300 lenses that are supposed to come out next month. Might be worth waiting for. Depending on price, either of those would work well for my needs. And the more I think about it, the DA 50-200 which is out now, getting good reviews, and included in the Pentax rebate pkg., would probably be enough of a zoom range for me (along with the 18-55 kit lens, which also got good reviews.) The K100d body & those two lenses would cost less than the XTi body only (after the $150 rebate). Whatever I ultimate deicde on, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Too many options out there. The internet is great, but can sometimes put you in information overload.

Well, guys, you may be right that there isn't much to choose optically between the 100~300USM and the various non-IS 75~300 lenses and the 75~300IS. I hardly dare to mention it after the negative comments on lens testing that have been made on this forum, but there will shortly be a test of the 100~300USM on PhotoZone, and that can be compared with their earlier test of the 75~300IS. No tests of the non-IS 75~300 lenses, tho'. I'm not an apologist for the 100~300USM - I got rid of mine, after all! The point on which I think we are agreed is that none of these lenses prior to the 70~300IS non-DO really does a decent job at 300mm, and it looks as if Donna has that message.

For those that don't know all this already, the old 100~300L was one of a set of four physically almost identical push-pull zooms, 100~300 or 50~200, and non-L or L. The non-L versions were, by all reports, pretty terrible, and the 50~200L, long forgotten, no better than respectable. Only the 100~300L developed something of a fan club, and outlasted the others in the Canon catalogue by many years. For a brief period when it was closed out at a low price, it was seen as a bargain. It was the last example of an L lens with low-grade mechanics. End of historical footnote.