Should I consider other options if EF lenses don't work on XTi?

ripley

"It isn't the camera, it is the person behind it. " Exactly! While the lenses you have aren;t the greatest Canon make they can do a decent job in thye right hands. It is more important to learn about you're camera and work within the limitations of your equipment than to think that better gear will make a difference.

While I certainly don't claim to be the world's greatest photographer, many of the shots in my portfolio were made with the 18-55 kit lens and a 75-300 zoom.

I tend to agree with you Geoff. I have plenty of nice photos taken with a Canon 75-300. That said, there are better options.

Robin, I used to have one of those early 100-300 non-L lenses. According to my tests comparing it to a Canon 75-300 I had at the time, the 100-300 was a bit sharper throughout the zoom range. It wasn't a bad lens optically, not great for sure, but not really bad either. My issue with it was the large & clunky design. It wouldn't fit in my bag, so I never used it. I preferred the smaller 75-300. Sharpness certainly isn't everything.

Later I bought a 100-300 USM and that was a much nicer lens to use, but optically my copy tested out only very marginally sharper than the 75-300. I found it interesting reading at the time that Bob Atkins tested the 75-300 and 100-300 USM and found his 75-300 just marginally sharper than the 100-300 USM.