mobility scooter access at Bryce Canron National Park

ben_lanterman1

I would like to visit/photograph/enjoy Bryce Canyon National Park this summer. I can take

all of my equipment, don't have a photo equipment related question and I ltotally enjoy

nature and photographing nature. Bryce just looks so beautiful in the photos that I would

love to see it in person.

However I do have mobility problems. Due to heart damage from a heart attack a few

years back If I walk near a 1/4 mile on level ground I start gasping for air so I have started

using a mobility scooter for longer travel. It has been a welcome addition to the family

and has worked well at air shows and similar venues.

I know that hiking to the really neat places is totally out but could someone give me an

idea of how much of the canyon can be seen from the trails that are handicapped

accessable. (I realize that as I ask that that even the worse peek through bushes at Bryce

is better than the best view in my subdivision:-)

I have looked over the internet and searched photo.net but haven't found anything so far

that gives me a good "feel" for what to expect.

Any help would be appreciated a lot.

Thanks,

Ben Lanterman

Once you park in the parking lot, there's a sidewalk and walkway to an outlook that overlooks the canyon. From there you can get lots of great views using wideangle or telephoto. Then take the drive around the rim, and return to the first outlook for the sunset. And yes, you will love Bryce!

I am familiar with mobility problems as my wife has been constrained to a power wheelchair for years. I almost automaticly examine accessability wherever I travel. Bryce is one of the most accessable of the National Parks with paved walks and gradual grades to the lookouts from the parking areas. Actually most of the S.W. parks are relatively easy to get around. As I remember, the buses at Zion and Grand Canyon were capable of taking on power wheelchairs.

There is a paved, accessible path between Sunset and Sunrise Points, among the best views of the "canyon." (I don't know if they clear it of snow in the winter.) There may be other accessible trails as well. Call the NP at 435-834-5322 for details. They'll mail you a very nice map showing the trails. I don't know where you live, but I suspect the views will be better than those from your subdivision.

Ben - Your scooter will do well on the trails at the rim, and you can get some spectacular shots (early am late pm) from those locations. You will not be able to take the trails going down into the canyons, however. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Also Ruby's Lodge is quite handicap accessible as is the visitor's centre. Enjoy the trip!

One thing else you might need to consider is the altitude might be higher then you are used to which may (and most likely) reduce your lung capacity I would double check the altitude and see how that might effect your need for additional Oxygen.

I know haveing been camping with a number of people at 13,000 feet that were not used to the altidue that even setting up a TEEPEE was a strugle for the average guy. It would appear from a quick glance at some of the maps on line that this area is near to above 8,000 feet. If you are from an area near sea level this could be a problem.

Just thought I should bring this up. it would be a shame to get there and not enjoy the beautiful place for want of a portable O2 bottle.

Altitude, Altitude, Altitude. Keep that in mind. Bryce is quite high. And high desert air is very thin.

At that altitude you will probably feel fatigued after just a few feet from the car.

Bryce overlooks are paved and have sidewalks. You will not be able to go down into the amphitheatre, but most people do not anyway.

My best pix have come from the overlooks. Keep your fingers crossed for some summer storms...majestic and photogenic!

--- JDR

It would be nice to compile a list of highly accessible photographic venues. I'm not quite as limited, but if I don't lose some weight, will be.

I've had excellent low-stress shooting from the roadside at Rocky Mountain National Park (but some of the roads go very high) and

Arcadia national park. (altitude is no problem)

Garden of the Gods has excellent paved low-grade trails.

The drive to Pike's peak is extremely scenic, with plenty of good places to shoot right from the car.

Madera Canyon's Bogg Springs campground is excellent for shooting hummingbirds from your lawn chair or recliner right in your campsite, and has one or two accessible trails.

Smokey Mtn National park has a lot of accessible scenery, and wildlife too.

Cumberland and blue ridge parkways are nearly totally accessible, of course.

I've had lots of fun shooting all these locations, even with my very limited stamina. I have to rest at least every 1/8 mile on a hill, maybe every 50 yards at high altitudes. But I was comfortable and functional even at 14000 feet. This varies from individual to individual. Even a healthy and fit person can get altitude sick at those altitudes.

Just for completeness, here's what Grand Canyon says about itself:

ACCESSIBILITY

Facilities vary a great deal. The National Park Service provides wheelchairs for temporary day use by park visitors. No rental fee is charged. A wheelchair is usually available at Canyon View Center. To obtain a temporary parking permit for designated parking, inquire at the Entrance Gate, Canyon View Center, or Yavapai Observtion Station.

Several of the daily interpretive Ranger Programs are wheelchair accessible. Inquire at the Canyon View Center or look in the "Guide" for specifics.

A copy of the Grand Canyon National Park Accessibility Guide is available upon request at Canyon View Center, Yavapai Observation Station, Kolb Studio, Tusyan Museum, and Desert View Information Center.

SOUTH RIM: Most shuttles are inaccessible to wheelchairs. Accessible shuttle buses are available in response to requests made the day prior. Call 928-638-0591.

Ben - fyi, ST. Louis, MO is around 500 ft above sea level. That's quite a difference to about 8000-9000 ft above sea level.

At the park, you can also experience changes in elevation. In fact, just going from the park entrance to Rainbow Point is about a 1000 ft difference in elevation.

I'm not trying to scare you... Just be careful.

KL

I have been to Bryce 2 weeks ago.

With your condition, you won't be able to hike trails that lead inside the canyon, down below the rim.

However all overlook points above the rim are easily accessible from parking lots. Some are immediatlly adjacent, some require just very short and mostly level walk. Few overlook points have parts that require very little hiking uphill, and parts that require more hiking uphill, you can choose those that are manageable for you.

There is also a trail that goes along the rim for ~ 5 miles. It is very easy to hike for a healthy person, but for you it may be not an option. I am less sure about driving it on a scooter, especially now when it is slippery/icy. Trail is close to the edge and is unfenced so you probably do not want to go over the edge and 100 yards down.

You may also want to give yourself a slow and easy first day while your body adjusts to higher altitude.

Re-reading, I noticed that you intend to visit during summer time. While Bryce is good at any time, I specifically waited for winter as (to me personally) snow blankeys on red cliffs, veils of blizzard etc. add a lot to the beauty and dynamics of the place. Also, in winter you will have much more shooting time as the sun stays lower in the skies. (But, also covers smaller angle range while moving through the sky.)

Hi Sergy, Yes my visit will be in the late spring or early summer. I can imagine the great

photos recovered from my camera just after the scooter slides off the trail on the ice and

as the Canon 1DMkII faithfully captures 8 fps of the canyon's walls as the scooter and I

not-so-gracefully fall to the canyon bottom:-) The camera can pick up my screams of

terror also, isn't tech great!

I had considered the mule rides offered at several places. However I was watching a show

on the travel channel about the rides and how they trained the mules and I got a really bad

case of vertigo just watching. With my luck I would get a mule in the process of having a

really bad day also.

I am really looking forward to seeing the west again. I did a short vacation 40 years ago to

the Grand Canyon but there is so much more in the area.

Again I appreciate all of the helpful comments.

Ben

I do a lot of work at high altitude (up to 12,500 ft). You can expect about 25% less oxygen

at

8000 feet than in St. Louis (same 21% of air comprised of oxygen, but 25% lower air

pressure). At 10,000 feet (high roads in the Sierra or Rocky Mts.), there's only 68% of the

pressure at near sea level (32-33% less oxygen).

Most people don't notice this reduction in oxygen partial pressure during the drive up to a

high place, but immediately feel short of breath after

some exertion, so your scooter will be a GREAT help. At around 10,000 feet and up (even

lower for some folks), altitude sickness is a possible problem.

You might consider consulting a physician about spending time at high altitude, given

your heart condition.

I will discuss it with the doctor, it would be good to have oxygen just as a precaution.

38 years ago we went west and visited the Grand Canyon and Pikes Peak and a few other

places in a whirlwind adventure. I remember the car really chugging at the top of Pikes

Peak and the obvious effects of the thin air on us. I also have a vivid image of a teenager

that didn't pay attention to the altitudes effects and had apparently tried to show off by

running and was suffering from altitude sickness, headaches and all that. We walked very

slowly.

I will look at Pikes Peak from the bottom this time!

As I look into the trip more I am amazed at the tremendous natural wonders that await. I

would encourage all that can still do the hiking to do it while able. My heart attack was

when I was 57 and several years before I had planned to retire and to do the hiking trips.

The one good thing about the scooter is that I can load the two baskets full of camera

stuff, snacks, drinks, kitchen sink, etc. and don't have to worry about packing it around on

a backpack.

Ben,

While it sounds like the location has a number of paved/gravel paths, you may still want to CALL the ranger's office for the park and ask them some questions about altitude and accessibility. Their phone number can be found on the website: http://www.nps.gov/brca/pphtml/contact.html

Most park rangers tend to be very helpful, especially if you express a genuine interest in their park. Also, if you are ever down in the south, you might consider visiting Little River Canyon in northeast Alabama. It pales in comparison to the canyons in the west, but is one of the deepest canyons, if not the deepest canyon east of the Mississippi. The website at NPS is pretty useless, but the Little River Canyon National Preserve is fairly accessible as a result of the rim road having parking areas and spots RIGHT on the canyon rim. The canyon itself is around 15-20 miles long, is home to several waterfalls, and is generally pretty neat. If you are ever in the area, make sure to check it out, it is about 1.5 hours from Birmingham, 4 from Atlanta, 1 from Chattanooga, 4-6 from Nashville. Towns nearby are Mentone and Fort Payne, Alabama. I live in Birmingham, so I must plug my local canyon whenever possible. So few people know about it. My friends who have lived here all of their lives didn't believe that it was there, I had to prove it to them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Arches is another park to consider if you're mobility challenged - *no one* can go off the trails (or should anyway, because of the problems it causes with erosion), and all the main features are a short easy walk from parking lots. It's very accesible! Bryce is very similar - all the main features will be available for you. I would urge you to take a small supply of supplemental oxygen. St. Louis is definitely lower altitude than most of the western parks, and it will be the altitude effects you notice long before any heart strain from walking! Make sure someone knows where you are, take it easy, wear a hat, have *plenty* of water on hand (can't stress that enough!) and you should be fine. HAve a nice trip! :)