VueScan cannot find my scanner

I am trying to use VueScan with my Minolta 5400 scanner, and I am finding the program to

be quite user unfriendly. Scans that I could set up in 2 minutes with the Minolta software

take 5-10 minutes with VueScan.

Now I have encountered a problem in which VueScan gives me a message saying "No

scanners were found connected to your computer, and no raw scan files were found.

Check Input/Files option."

Of course, the scanner is connected to the computer. I have closed VueScan, restarted the

scanner and then reopened VueScan with no luck.

What am I missing?

Rob

With my Minolta MultiPro, it must go completely through the warm up cycle (around 1-2 minutes) before VueScan locates it. I think that uses the same driver as a 5400. However mine is a firewire scanner and yours may be USB2 so there might be some difference there..

Try waiting for all the scanner lights to stop flashing before you initialize VueScan and see if that helps.

I don't know why your takes to long to scan with Vuescan. I can scan a 6x7 chrome in 2-3 minutes at 2400 ppi. But I always pass on all the cleaning, grain reduction, sharpening, and those other options.

Bob, the scanner had been on for over an hour when I launched VueScan. I may have to

write to Ed Hamrick for the solution, but hopefully, some wise photo.netter will have the

answer.

I have found the user interface to be quite complex and clumsy. Also, 5400dpi raw scans

with IR cleaning require a huge amount of processing, which is not the case with the

Dimage Scan software 16bit linear scans.

Rob

Roger, what do you mean by "huge amount of processing"? If you mean Vuescan's cleaning is not that good, I concur. I have no problems interfacing my 5400 with Vuescan, it is possible. Tho I haven't for a few Vuescan versions, so could be a bug with your current Vuescan version. Could also be a hardware issue.

Also, check in Vuescan's Pref's tab: you don't have it set to ignore scanners do you?

Due to Vuescan's cleaning quality, I interface with the scanner thru MSU, with ICE/GD, output 16 bit linear (as you mentioned), then just use Vuescan to scan-from-disk with this file.

Are you using a PC? Win2000 or WinXP? Try checking in the "Device Manager" applet for the status of "imaging devices". If you don't find it there, or find a yellow triangle by the name, the PC is not recognizing the scanner.

Once the scanner is warmed up and has completed its initiallization cycle, unplug the USB (or FireWire) connector from the scanner for 10 seconds or so, then replace it. This is usually more effective than cycling the power. You should see a "found new hardware" notification. Once the computer registers the scanner properly, you seldom have to repeat this process.

If the "device manager" still shows a yellow triangle, right click and select "properties" and see if there is a better driver available. If that fails, reinstall the scanner using the Minolta software. Follow the instructions to the letter.

All of the suggestions that have been made are appreciated, but unfortunately, they have

not solved the problem. I have sent a message to Ed Hamrick, who will undoubtedly have

the fix.

Mendel, what is the point of scanning with the Dimage software and then running the file

through VueScan rather than Photoshop?

I *can* and do occasionaly bring my MSU 16 bit linear tiffs up to normal gamma, and apply some levels adjustment through Photoshop. I'll like what I'm getting for one or two, colour-wise, then it will give me a poor result on one of my slides, and so on. Hard to say what, but it seems like PS is doing a dumb adjustment, say thru levels, compared to VS.

Having profiled the scanner with Vuescan (utilizing a MSU created 16bit linear tiff of a target), I'm getting fairly consistant results with Vuescan's neutral settings. Also, it's new curves feature seems to rival Photoshop's shadow/highlight feature, for ability to recover shadow detail in underexposed slides.

Dunno, having the 16 bit linears, I'm free to try either, now, or down the road.

• 1 year later...