Benefits of Elan 7n over Rebel T2?

claytontullos

I am looking to purchase a camera for myself and am looking to

purchase one quite soon. I will be purchasing along with the camera

the 50mm 1.8 M2 lens.

I am a beginner as far as SLR's are concerned and I honestly don't

understand the various benefits of the Elan over the Rebel. Money is

an issue and currently the Elan is at the top end of my budget.

Suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

I don't propose to know all the details of the T2, but I own a 7N. I went into the store intending to buy the Ti (the predecessor to the T2). The T2 came out after my purchase of the 7N, and when I look back, if the T2 was out I probably would have bought it.

All that being said, I love my 7N. I really like the dual control wheels, and the idea that you can rewind the roll in the middle and leave the leader out - then put the roll back in and keep going (switch film in the middle!). The mirror lock up is good for slow shutter shots. I think those are the biggest differences. Most of the other stuff like the AF and metering are the same I believe.

The Elan7N is my first SLR as well, in the end it is always better to spend the extra $$ on glass, but it depends on what you want to do. Shutter speeds from 1 sec. to 1/30 sec. would benefit from mirror lockup (silky waterfalls). Quick reactions in manual mode would benefit from the dual control wheels. If light changes or you don't tend to burn a roll all at once - it is nice to be able to switch - I do it all the time.

I know someone who had to have the dual control wheels - more pro., and easier to use. I also know some one else who is perfectly happy to operate on 1 control wheel and thinks about the $$ saved. (This is really a comparison of 2 people- one bought the 20D and the other bought the Rebel XT - so there is a bigger difference on $$)

I say go for the Elan 7N - but I could understand choosing the T2.

<P>The T2 is a bit too small and thus is tricky to hold without poking yourself in the eye

or

running your righthand fingers into the lens barrel. Besides being a little larger and easier

to hold, the Elan's QCD on the back makes for

faster adjustments.</P><P><A HREF="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/

canon_elan7ne.htm" TARGET="_blank">My Elan 7NE Review</A></P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The Elan is the 30 and the rebel the 300, right?

Go for the 30/elan. It's got much better build quality, it's quiet a tougth camera.

I don't know all the differences, but I think there are two that would bother me. I think with the 300, the camera selects both the metering and the auto-focus modes automatically and you can't override them. That would drive me nuts.

I have the 7e and the rebel 2000 which are the previous versions of the cameras you mention. The biggest differences for me, in order of importance:

1) Bigger and brighter viewfinder

2) This is something that always impressees me when I use the two cameras: the mirror slap on the T2 is a lot harder. You can feel your hand rotating, while on the 7n it is very smooth, you almost don't feel the vibration, it is very quiet and the mirror black-out is a lot shorter.

3) Flash exposure compensation. I cannot stress how much better photos come out, FEC at -1 or -1.5 actually makes the built-in flash usable.

The above 3 are enough for me to go for the 7.

4) Control of exposure mode, if you ever need to shoot slides or need metering for a difficult scene (backlit portrait, sunsets, etc)

5) Eye focus control

6) Wheel and buttons at the back to control things a lot easier like exposure compensation and selection of focusing point

7) Control of focusing mode (servo, AI, one-shot)

It is also bigger and a bit heavier, which for me makes it more comfortable in the hand and balances better with heavier lenses. There are also some custom functions, I really like the one that leaves the film leader out, so I can change films at mid-roll. And if you have a tripod there is mirror lock-up, not useful for you now, but if you ever get a macro it is very useful.

I would recommend that you find a used 7e on ebay instead of buying a new one. It would cost you the same price of a new T2.

I have both (actually I have the Ti). The wife and I use both.

Ti pros and cons

Small, cheap, very capable, quick auto focus, good metering.

Not too well built, but good enough

oh, and did I say cheap?

7N

More capable, quick auto focus, good metering. Well built. a little larger, heavier to carry. Mirror lockup. Easier to customize the settings. Very quiet shutter.

Looks like a pro-type camera. Can be intimidating to the subject. Easier to get cooperation for group shots.

The T2 would be a great starter camera. You can bank the money saved for a future lens buy. By the way I like the snowy night shot.

Clayton,

Go for the Elan. Best yet, as a previous response posted, go for a used Elan 7, 7e, 7N or 7ne. They should be pretty easy to find with so many dumping their film bodies for the digital stuff.

I have seen some 7's even here in the PN Classifieds for not much over $200.00. And many will include the BP 300 which IMO is a necessity. The 7's are reliable and will provide you with a body with some "pro" features that you can grow with including the MLU and Custom Functions.

About 2 years ago, I updated from the Canon FD system. I did alot of reading and research to decide which body I wanted that had many of the basic features of my A-1 that included full manual control. None of the Rebels made it, plus the fact that I did not like the "feel" of the Rebels. I love my Elan 7e although it has now become the back-up body for my recently acquired EOS-3. And although many do not like the Eye Control focus, I use mine better than 50% of the time. So get an "e" if you can. Besides, if you do not like the ECF, you can always turn it off.

Read the reviews here in PN on both the bodies, go to a shop and handle both, but IMO you won't go wrong with the Elan.

My .02 worth.

Jim J.

<< I am wary of buying a used camera. >>

If you're smart about it, you shouldn't be.

You should go to a camera store and hold both in your hands, with the len(s) you're likely to be using most often. The Elan7 is a nice camera (I have the original Elan7) but so is the T2. My wife uses a Rebel 2000 (more in line with the T2) because it's smaller and lighter. These are valid options and both of us get a lot out of our cameras.

In the end, you're going to spend far, far more on film and processing than the price difference between these two cameras. If you don't mind the extra weight of the Elan7/e/n/ne, I'd say go for it over the T2. It has a feature set you can grow into. But if weight or size is a concern (and this is a valid concern) then opt for the T2 and save up for some really nice lenses.

To quote myself..."in the end it is always better to spend the extra $$ on glass"

After reading Rob's comment I got thinking...how much of those 'really nice lenses' can you get for the difference in price between the 2 bodies?

BTW Clayton - I applaud your lens choice to start out with.

I also agree with Jim - get that battery grip.

I see a theme here -> get an elan of whatever flavour, but the T2 isn't so bad.

I wouldn't be too worried about buying a used camera on E-Bay. Pick a seller with good feedback (and has previous successful sales) and then choose an item that's well described and in good condition.

I've bought two used Elan 7's on Ebay, one for myself and one for a friend. The last one I bought was only $147, so it shouldn't be too hard to find yourself a good deal. Watch, wait, and be patient.

The Elan 7 is one of the best deals on a used camera body out there.

Hope this helps!

Sheldon

Well I believe I have made up my mind. I will purchase a new Elan 7N, 50mm f/1.8 II, 2 rolls of Fugi Superia 400, and a Tiffen cicular polarizing glass filter.

I really dont know about getting the battery grip, on one hand its $70 but I have over 50 AA's sitting in a drawer... the onther is that I could just buy a few cv2 batteries and be done with it.

Clayton - There are many reasons to get the battery grip:

Save $ on batteries, provides balance with larger lenses, vertical shutter and exposure lock, and looks intimidating ;)

I waited on purchasing the BP-300 when I got my Elan 7N, and while not critical - it was certainly a welcome addition to my kit when I got it.

Another tip, the wireless remote is cheaper than the cable release - the only downside is that you need line of sight to the front of the camera to operate it.

Have fun!

I just ordered everything from B&H.. spent a little more than I wanted too but I believe it will do me better in the long run. I did order the battery grip.

I will wait till late the middle of November, when I am taking my trip to the Grand Canyon, to purchase the cable release.

Hopefully, I will be recieving my items by the middle of next week.

Well for my trip to the Grand Canyon I will probably bring that much film with me, but for right now photography is just a hobby and days to weeks can go by between a single photograph. Ofcourse as soon as I get the camera I will probably blow through both rolls of film just testing out the various different features. Then until I go to the grand canyon I will probably just purchase inexpensive drugstore film, however for the Grand Canyon I will probably get slide film.

Hi. I'm a semi-pro. i.e. - I earn part of my income from photography. I earn the rest from computer programming and web design.

I bought the 7NE because I always tend to go for the cheapest model that has mirror lockup. I didn't want an EOS 3 because that's too much money to feel comfortable using it in the mean streets.

I do a lot of higher end real estate photography and architectural photography both indoors and out. That's my fancy filet mignon photo jobs. My hamburger jobs are taking pictues of cars and homes for banks. Often the photo-subject is subject to the repo man. I'm not the repo man, but I take pictures of his future targets.

I'd like an EOS 3 for the high-end real estate and architectural photo jobs, which often involve a tripod, slow shutter speeds, mirror lockup and cable release. However, I cringe at the thought of taking an $800 EOS 3 on a job taking photos of things to be repoed. Can you imagine how paranoid people are about a stranger taking a photo of their car when they know the repo man might be coming?

If I get my butt kicked and my camera smashed, that would be tragic if it were an EOS 3. I can afford to replace my 7NE, which I bought for $330 at www.17photo.com. I like the 7NE because it has mirror lockup and does a good job without costing too much. The mirror lockup is great for high class jobs involving a tripod and slow shutter speeds when I want the best photo possible.

However, on those hamburger jobs taking photos of homes and cars, I really wish I had a Rebel T2 instead of a 7NE. Why? The T2 is a lot smaller, attracts less attention, and if noticed looks non threatening (non pro), which means I'm less likely to get beat up or my camera smashed. The T2 is smaller and lighter which makes carrying it easy. Lastly the T2 is cheap and easy to replace if smashed by an irate deadbeat. The T2 is inconspicuous.

In essence, I like the 7NE when I'm working with a tripod and slow shutter speeds. Otherwise I wish I had a T2. I had considered buying an EOS 3 for tripod work and a Rebel T2 for everything else. Instead I bought the 7NE as a compromise do it all camera. The 7NE is good as a compromise do it all camera, but it's also never quite perfect for either purpose. I think I'm going to buy a Rebel T2 for my hamburger repo jobs and save the 7NE for my higher class tripod jobs. Ideally, I wish I owned an EOS 3 and a Rebel T2 instead of the 7NE.

For you, this is what I suggest. Ask yourself this question first: Do you intend to do a lot of slow shutter speed, tripod type shots?

If so, buy the 7NE because it has mirror lock up and because you can't afford the EOS 3.

If not, buy the Rebel T2 because it's smaller, lighter and you don't need mirror lockup if you're not going to use a tripod and slow shutter speeds.

For your lens: Do NOT buy the Canon 50mm F1.8. It has poor reviews. The 50mm F1.4 has excellent reviews and works great in all lighting conditions. For low light the F1.4 works better than anything else for the money. See http://www.the-digital-picture.com for Canon lens reviews.

I also like some of Sigma's lenses, but you have to do your research on a lens by lens basis because at some focal lengths Canon lenses are better and don't cost much more, or might cost a lot more. At other focal lengths I think Sigma is better (yes better) and cheaper. So which is better depends on which lens we're talking about. No room to go into details on each lens here.

Since money is an issue for you, I think you'd be best served by the Rebel T2 and the Canon 50mm F1.4 lens. Spend your money on the lens rather than the camera if you don't have money for both. The Rebel T2 is the better camera if portability matters and it won't scare your subjects or attact attention as the 7N will.

The 7N only makes sense for you if you're going to do a lot of slow shutter speed tripod shots, but you're short of money so that means the Rebel T2 and the better 50mm lens are your best choices.

So for you, the Rebel T2 and Canon 50mm F1.4 are best, period. For a person with lots of money, the Rebel T2 would still be best if they need portability and subtlety. The 7N only makes sense for tripod and slow shutter speeds, but it's heavy and attracts a lot of attention and scares subjects. For my real estate and architectural jobs the 7NE does not scare anyone since no human subjects are involved.

In your situation, get the Rebel T2 and the better 50mm lens.

I already own this better 50mm lens. I'm going to buy a Rebel T2 for myself to supplement my 7NE. Once I have my T2, I'll might want an EOS 3 to replace my 7NE. On the other hand, I might remain happy with the 7NE once I also have a Rebel T2.

Anyway, I've given you some food for thought.

Best wishes.