luckyfilms shd400 - alternative to HP5+

<i>Moderator's note: References to unsubstantiated rumors deleted. Please don't post such rumors. Sales clerks and most discussion forums are not credible sources for information about the future of a particular industry.</i><p>

any one tried those chinese luckyfilms

suggestions on development other than in D76/id11

even pushed them<p>

I ask because I'm searching for an alternative for Ilforrd HP5+

I was think to try out the maco cube 400c seems a good film by the specs

and the rollei R3

would mostly use in low light(concerts, night and so)

any other recommendations are welcome

It was touch and go with Ilford for a while, but they look to be pretty stable now. I shoot a lot of HP5+ and FP4+ in 135 and 120 formats, and see no need to look for alternatives.

I buy mine from 7 Day Shop on the web, never had any problems getting it, and I'll bet they're cheaper than you're local dealer too!

It is GBP 1.89 for 135-36 at 7 Day Shop, or GBP 35.99 for a 20-pack. I guess that's between EUR 2.50 and EUR 3 per roll?

I am not affiliated with them in any way, I am just a happy customer. They're one of the major reasons I can afford to shoot as much as I do (I am not a full-time professional). Everyone should check them out!

hmm that s a good price for a roll

first I thought you are US because most people i guess in this forum are.

can you give me the internetadress of this store maybe it's, with the extracost of shipping and change, still cheaper.

but I thought of getting myself some 17m bulkfilm(HP5+ and maybe some others) for my 35mm set up but for the 120(got a brinica etr- realy love it) this could be an option

I second 7dayshop as a source for film and batteries. They are based in the Channel Islands and ensure that their packages are under 18GBP in value. If your order is over 18GBP, it will arrive in a number of separate packages (often bound together with an elastic band). This means that it is exempt from VAT when importing into the UK. Hence, the price.

Ilford have been through some rough times recently, but seem to be the other side of their problems. One way of ensuring that they stick around is to continue buying their products. I, for one, would not like to see them disappear. I use a lot of FP4/HP5, not to mention MGIV.

Another vote for HP5+.

We should support Ilford, who have kept in operation by the managers putting their faith (and their own savings and borrowings) into the company.

(Contrast this with Chinese companies - some of whom use child labour and subject their workers to appalling conditions)

The best reason of all for supporting the English firm, of course, is the quality of the Ilford stable of products.

Cheers,

Sean.

I totally agree with you guys

support is the best way.

I was just curious about any experience with this chinese films.

vote for HP5+ and my beloved PanF+ wow that's a great film.

I don't like the kodak stuff much never had good experience with them in B+W. other than in color.

well I just looked at 7dayshop and they won't send it to austria or other countries - what a pitty.

they have great prices but anyway then I support my local prodealer.

so I keep him alive by buying tons of film.

Dear Claudio,

Current price of HP5+ from Mailshots in UK (from whom I buy film), VAT (TVA/MWST) paid: GBP 2.25 for 1-9, GBP 2.15 for 10+ = approx 3.25/3.10 euro, US $3.95/3.75. They ship to France; I do not imagine Austria would be a problem either. Tell them Roger Hicks recommended you try them. They will know my name, both as a customer and as a weekly columnist in Amateur Photographer magazine.

Cheers,

Roger

roger- thanx for the info I'll try soon

in austria ilfordproducts are harder to get these times. proshops orders are coming 1/2 late and very occasionly. some products like the dd-x and ilfosol-s are kind of gone. maybe not for the labs but definetly for consumers as far as I know from my proshop in vienna.

I'm just careful about things like this but if ilford realy gets killed by the market I won't some options on there films and chemicals.

agfa died already so they are no option. tetenal could be one but I got greater trust in maco/lp - they seem to have real stuff and do want to create new stuff.

but maybe this concerns only austria and germany because the distribution is not directly from ilford.

maybe that's the problem here and it'll be solved- hope so

Lucky Pan SHD 400 is NO substitute for HP5+. It's cheap and you get what you pay for. The stuff is ok to play around with, butI wouldn't use it for anything other than just messing around. It is grainy, slow, and has terrible anti-halation properties. I've never gotten a good crisp looking print with this film. I have a friend who makes an annual trip to China to visit her family. She usually brings back a couple dozen rolls of SHD 100 and SHD 400 back for me each time, so I have a bit of experience with the stuff.

I got less grainy negs with Lucky SHD 400 than with HP5+, but it has really bad (if any) antihalation layer. It really disappointed me. It looks really muddy in the lights. If you are really LUCKY, you can get sometimes quite good pictures, but only in the shots without contrejour lighting.<div>00EtHB-27568384.jpg.8cd1a146ea06d5451dc2fe3d3df24b0f.jpg</div>