Maui in November

victor_zhou

Hi,

I will go to Maui in November. After my friend's wedding, we will take some days to explore

this island in Pacific. Since none of my friends have been there before, I have no idea how to

enjoy there. I will have 5 days there. I know one thing is snorkeling, and another one is to

get up at 3:00am to climb Haleakala for the stunning sunrise. But what else? Kindly can you

give me suggestions for both outdoor activity and photgraph opportunities? BTW, we will

have a SUV, so no problem for rough roads.

Thanks in advance,

Victor

Hi Victor, Take the road trip to Hana very nice scenic tour on a very narrow and winding road but great waterfalls, and then buy the T-shirt that says "I survived the Road to Hana" lol, Also the Maui Aquarium is great make sure you have a fast lens for low light, I got some really good ones there. Of course Haleakala is simply stunning, dress warmly you will be at over 10000 feet and its very windy and cold. The botanical gardens are great too. We spent 2 weeks on Maui it was great, photo opps everywhere. Enjoy your trip.

I would second the 'Road to Hana' along which you will see a black sand beach, beautiful foliage and refreshing waterfalls. Near Hana is also the Red Sand beach which you actually have to cross a 'no trespassing area' to get to (steep cliffs though). Be warned though, it is a nudist beach so if you are offended by nudity it certainly isn't worth the dangerous hike to the beach. I would also say go past Hana to the east end of Haleakala National park where there are several pools and a great hike past bamboo forests, Banyan (spelling?) Trees to some really incredible waterfalls. Bring some insect repelant though.

After you do the morning up Haleakala there is a neat place just below the park entrance where one can still see what is left of the native birds, Hawaiian Creepers like the I'iwi. If you are lucky you might see some Nene on the way up too (don't drive like an idiot up the mountain, motorists heading up the mountion too fast occasionally kill Nene on their way up).

In West Maui is the Ioa (again, spelling?) Needle. Well worth the short trip up. There are some nearby gardens too.

I can recommend spots to see Hawaiian Stilts too if you are a birder.

Underwater is what I like best though.

If you don't want to get up at 3:00am you can also try Haleakala for sunset. Look in my portfolio for a sunset photo, plus a few other Maui shots. All of the above mentioned locations are good. I did the road to Hana drive. There are a lot of good photo opportunities going to Hana, but I preferred the road past Hana; less jungle and more open vistas. There were only a few short sections of unpaved road past Hana. Enjoy your visit, all of the islands offer plenty of subject matter.

I did the Haleakala sunrise & bike ride down. It was great. But before sunrise the stars are amazing. So get there early. Also I argee about driving all the way around when you go to Hana. After Hana the roads are rough & hilly and the lava fields are great looking. Also, if you can, drive around the North tip of the island. The roads wind high above the ocean and the views are spectacular. Whatever you do you're going to love it. All the islands have great hiking if you have the time. Have a great time. Wish I could go again.