Kodak Tri-X Developer -- what do you use?

I use D76 1:1 10 minutes usually to develop my Tri-X but I admit

it's more a matter of what I was taught rather than a firm

conviction that it's the best tool for the job. I actually noticed

on the Kodak website they now recommend 9 3/4 minutes. Hmmm... I was

just curious what developers you use that you like for Tri-X.

Thanks.

I use D76 1:1. Just remember to use twice the volume required to cover the reels (ie. same

amount of stock). This is per Kodak J-78 tech. pub. small print. You can also use 1/2 the

stock to save a few pennies but should add 10% to the time (about 10 3/4 min.). I think

many have missed this fact and it does seem to help the Tri-X deliver the best values in

my opinion. BTW I use a diffuser enlarger and prefer a little more "snap" than when I used

a condenser which the D76 1:1 used correctly seems to deliver.

David,

I develop TRI-X (4X5 sheet film) in HC-110, 1+63 for 9 minutes; Normal exposure/normal development. Back in the 1970's Ansel Adams used TRI-X/HC-110 combination for 35mm, 120 and 4X5. The differences between all the mentioned developers is not as great as one might think. D-76 is the developer that all are measured against. If you are unhappy with your combination, what are you looking for; a sharper image or smaller grain?

Paul

For Tri-X (35mm), ID-11 (straight), XTOL (straight).

For Tri-X (120), ID-11 (1:1), XTOL (1:1), HC110 (dil.H).

My preference is XTOL for giving close to true film speed as well as a bit more "umph" to the shadows, but all three have never failed me, it's more a matter of exposing the film properly than anything to do with any ONE developer IMHO.

I started out with D-76 as a kid back in the 1960s. But the community and school darkrooms I used ran replenishing lines and students were assigned in rotating shifts to be responsible for replenishing developer, stop bath and fixer. Too many times they wouldn't pay attention and killed the developer by pouring in stop bath or fixer.

So I switched to HC-110 and mixed it as a one-shot developer. Used it through college and my newspaper, shooting Tri-X exclusively. It was good enough for routine pushes to 800 and produced excellent results at 200-320 for my fine art pretensions.

Several years ago I tried ID-11 (just a variation of D-76) for a year or two. It worked great with Tri-X and TMX. But I noticed some variation in developer activity over a six month period. I switched back to HC-110 for normal use, Diafine for shooting at 1200 and Microphen for pushes to 1600 and beyond. Occasionally I use Rodinal.

I could get by with just HC-110.

I've recently started deving Tri-X in Tmax Dev. This gets bad press from many on photo.net but I love it, really tight defined grain along with the usual tonal smoothnes.

Rating 120 tri-x at 200 in tmax dev is one of my favourite combos, so sharp and so very smooth. 12x12 hassy prints look jaw dropping good and are very easy to print.

I also love 120 Neopan 400 in tmax dev. It's virtually grainless at any regular print size, certainly 12x12 just ensure you don't over dev it, same goes for Tri-x.

I love Kodak developers;-) I use Microdol-X, Xtol, HC-110, and Tmax. I use all of them at 75 degrees and I get some of the finest grains full range of tones and love my 16x20 prints from 35mm to large format. I have to agree with Arthur on the Tmax developer. The lab I got my sidekick from turn me onto it. I have process Tri-X in just about anything I can get my hands on and never had I problem with this film. www.photo.net/photos/Rothelle's%20Gallery<div>00FrCB-29166784.jpg.9a6f0df22b6ba0399297681ff3c7e0fb.jpg</div>