interested in a trade right now. I'm now trying to sell it with no

bites thus far ..sooo..I would like to know what 35mm lens would

compliment a Leica M6..the only problem is I'm on a budget - since I

still have the 50mm with me. Can anyone please do me the favor of

posting pics from various 35mm lenses to see the differences in

crispness/contrast. I have read so many reviews of the Color Skopar

lens (mostly negative). Or can someone sell me a 35mm summicron at a

decent price?

No Pics I am afraid but I own the 35mm cron dating from around the late 70's (contemporary with the M4P or thereabouts) or possibly ealry 1980s. (I cannot recall its design code number I am sorry but its either the last or second last non aspherical design.) I can assure you that it is sharp and contrasty and by Leica standards very affordable. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Camera Quest has a good page on Leica lenses and deals with both qulaity and price issues.

http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

The following Photoethnography link also has a useful guide to Tom Abrahamsons view of various 35mm lenses.

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Lens-LSM-Tom35.html~mainFrame

I should add that I also have a Summaron 35mm in F3.5 dating to around 1954 - the first version withour eyes but designed for use with the M3 with an accessory viewfinder. Its a much under rated lens which performs very well so long as you do not mind the modest maximum aperture. It does not use the Summicron lanthanum glass so lacks soem of its bite but is never the less a fine lens.

I would second Clay's 35/2.8 Summaron suggestion. I used one for about 10-12 years and loved it, sharp, contrasty...it never failed me. Then I moved on to other lenses and cameras sold it to fund their purchase. I've regretted it ever since. IMHO it well outperformed my current 35/1.4 Summilux.

Probably the best bang for your buck in a "35"mm lens would be either the 40mm Summicron-C or the same lens design under the Minolta Rokkor-C banner. It's a simple matter to modify it to bring up the 35mm frame line in an M body and the coverage is actually a better match for the frame lines found in M4-P and newer Leicas.

Just had a look at Kevins Cameras. http://www.kevincameras.com/

If you check out the M mount lens pages you will find this one ; leica_35_2_3165069 found on page 4 of the M mount lens section, which appears to be the one I have and I referred to above. (Sorry, the site does not allow me to link directly to the relevant page.) I suspect you might get one cheaper than this if you hunt around though.

No budget! And don't give up the 50mm lux; it's a great lens. The sharpest 35mm lenses are the new ones, the 35mm f2.0 cron asph and the 35mm f1.4 summulux asph. Test show they're eqully sharp from 2.0 up. I just bought a used 35mm summilux asph, so I'm now trying to sell my (still fairly new) 35mm cron, if you're interested. I've grown attached to low light photography, so I finally decided to get the f1.4 lens. The cron was perfectly fine, however, and I hate to let it go. But those two lenses really overlap in performance. Here's two photographs I took with the 35mm cron: one landscape of the Na Pali Coast in Kauai, Hawaii, in bright light, and another one hand held in Cape Town South Africa wide open, probably at 1/15 per second. Needless to say, I really like the 35mm cron, and I'm looking forward to using its brother or sister, which ever. Let me know if you're interested in buying a like new 35mm cron asph, with box, case, lens shade, uva filter, everything.<div>00Dl2p-25923784.jpg.f0c43ea17bb2dc044d76bed97d32a62b.jpg</div>

Larry- excellent use of a 35mm. Leslie, maybe check out the Zeiss 35mm f/2.0 from

popflash.com. As for keeping your 50 lux, give it consideration if you think you're mainly

a 50mm shooter with occasional 35mm usage. In this case, keeping a fast Leica 50 and

going with a less expensive (yet still superb) 35 might be the way to go. Either way, that

Zeiss seems like a nice lens.

Has anyone mentioned the Konica Hexanon-M 35? Seldom for sale second hand but worth the wait. A bit big and heavy versus the competition but a stunning performer, quite affordable when and if, very well built and brilliant in use (sensibly placed focusing tab). Sorry, you can't have mine. Johnny.

I own the "Color Skopar" VC 35 pancake (first edition) whith an M6 classic. I bought the lens 3 years ago for budget reasons, I didn't trade it because of the quality (even though I could now afford a summicron).

The lens is sharp, light, with a good "bokeh" (my humble opinion).

I would suggest the second version because of the ergonomic improvements (shade, focusing tab). Seems to be very resistant to flare !

Give it a try ...

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/3777820-lg.jpg<div>00Dl7O-25925484.jpg.de2147a495a69a77d801d7dc6667f341.jpg</div>

I have the VC 2,5/35 mm PII. This is a well made and very nice lens. Buy it only new or at least used with return option as even factory new lenses often show a focus mismatch (my third lens was o.k., had to send the first two lenses back).

Ulrik

Get an older Summicron 35/2. The current Voigtlander 35/2.8 is excellent, if you don't mind

the f2.8 as fastest f-stop. (My shots + lens testts tell me this is an extremely good lens.)

Might consider the Voigtlander 35/1.7. Excellect optics, though build quality might be

problematic. The Voigtlander 35/2.8's build quality is excelletn in my experience.